Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My first post vanished, so hope this isn't duplicate.

I have just recently got back into riding. I spent a lot of my younger years doing technical BMX (aerial) and technical mountain biking. THEN came work, family, kids, etc.
I am 32 now, and just decided to get back into riding in a big way. I just picked up my sweet new ride, a Cannondal Jekyll 600 Disc. I really like it so far.

Anyway, on to the topic:

I plan to hit the trails pretty quick now, and wonder what you guys take with you on the trails. Obviously water, but do you take tools, spare parts, tubes, or what? Additionally, how do you carry this stuff, in backpack, or what? I'm talking about trail ride lengths of 4-6 hours. Just interested in getting some feedback on things I should think about taking with me.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
What I take

2 Tubes
pump
patck kit
tire levers
Park tire boots
Crank Bros 17 multi tool
Sram power link
water in bladder
peanut butter & jam on whole wheat
toilet paper
tiny first aid kit
wallet
keys
wind breaker and or long sleave jersey ( depending on weather)
all in an Ultimate Directions pack (like a Camelbak)
as for packs I like Ultimate Directions or a Camelbak Mule or Hawg

·
Registered
80 Posts
wow, thats a lot

what i take

1 tube
patch kit
tire levers
small bike tool (crankbros 17 i think)
co2 pump with 2 co2 cans
water
and snacks
o and a cell phone usually

thats all ive ever really needed i guess

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Depends on how long your ride will be. I dont bring snacks unless i ride for over an hour.

I usually bring:
multi tool (crank bros)
tire levers
1 tube
patch kit
water in camelbak
money (few bucks)
small 1st aid kit

·
Custom User Title
157 Posts
Water
Alien (multi-tool)
tube
patch kit
small 1st aid kit
pump
snacks
cash

Varies depending on weather/season, but this is the usual.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Yea it's a lot

antonovc said:
wow, thats a lot

but I have had to use every bit except for the powerlink. I've used the bum wad so much that a friend of mine gave me a book called "How To Sh!t In The Woods".

·
Registered
38 Posts
2 tubes
pump
tire levers
sram powerlink
bike multi-tool (with chain breaker)
leatherman wave
duct tape
medium to large zipties
cellphone
id, atm, cash
cliff bar & goo shots
and depending on where I ride, small 1st aid kit

it all fits in my Mule with up to 100oz water.

·
uofabill
213 Posts
A couple other thoughts

What I carry depends on the ride. If it's my normal trails where I can get back to the vehicle within an hr. it's a more stripped down list. On epics, then there's more stuff.
A couple of other items in addition to what have been listed.

I carry my Crank Bros mini 17 and other tools in a small cordura coin purse. In addition to the multi tool, the Sram master link. I carry a couple of cleat bolts (if yer clipless), a couple of rotor bolts (if your using discs), and a few random small bolts.
I also have a SwissTech, tool, very small, can go on a key chain, has pliers, wire cutter, and reg and phillips screw driver. Handy if you have to tighten up a cable.
A Park mini-3way spoke wrench. Much better that what's on the mulit-tool but real small.
This whole kit is small, fits in the palm of yer hand.

I carry Wet Ones individual wipes. They do multiple duties. Clean wounds, wash yer face, and as bung fodder.

A bandana is really handy, all kinds of uses, wipe sweat/snot, clean glasses, sling, bandage, wash cloth, clean sealant out of tubeless tires, it's light.

Photon mini LED lite

Glueless patches, not worth much to fix a tube but work good to patch a hydration bladder.

On epics;

Leatherman wave
50 gal. trashbag. Makes a poncho, dry place to sit, emergency shelter or sleeping bag.
It's compact and very light.
LED headlamp (Princetontec Aurora), I have used it a few times getting caught on the trail after dark.
Small nylon cord at least 30'. Among other things use it to hang your bike from a branch to work on it.
Spare spokes, put 'em in yer seat post.
Rather than commercial tire boots I carry a couple of 2.5" X 4" or 5" rectangular pieces of plastic milk carton I can cut them to the size in need on the trail to use for a boot. Works extremely well.

Wild Bill

·
Registered
121 Posts
throw all your tools in your car and leave them there... i never take my tools out of my trunk unless i use them. get one of those alian tool jobbies that have a zillion things on them... kinda expensive but awesome for when you are on the trail. so small it attaches to your camel back, and you can do a surprising amount with it. Personally i risk a flat tire and leave all my pumps, patches and tubes in my car. (i ride DH tubes and really thick tires so i never worry). Its nice if you got all your crap in the car cuz you usually can hobble back to the car and fix whatever and then go out again. Plus you don't have to carry a billion pounds of tools with you (just your camel back and multifunction bike tool thingy). that method seems to work out real well for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What to carry

Great list, Wild Bill. I learned something, and I'll make some changes. Thanks.

BTW, I know someone who survived a night out, injured, laying in the snow, by crawling inside two trash bags. She wouldn't be alive now otherwise.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Well here goes but most have been said......

2 tubes
Patch kit
Tire levers
Multi-tool w/chain breaker
Small Swiss Army knife
Gu
Power bar or two or maybe even trail mix. I never stuff a sandwich in cause it just gets crushed.
Cell Phone
Wallet w/plenty of money and credit cards (as long as I can find a road, I can always buy my way home, dollar bills can help with a blown tire sidewall and make expensive TP if your are really, really disperate)
Duct tape (lots wrapped around an allen wrench and still the best "multi-tool" made)
70 oz water
Water bottle if its really hot
Clean hankerchief which is as close to a first aid kit as I get
Compass

I should have a small light but don't.
No excuse not to carry matches but I don't

Sometimes I pack a bit of extra clothing but not often.

And I always tell someone approximately where I will be riding and when I will be home.

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
Pack of Altoids
1 Bandaid
Some marbles
Sewing kit
3M sticky notes
Indian head nickel
An electric motor out of a sex toy and some batteries
A Drew Bledsoe rookie card
Some speaker wire
A pamphlet some guy gave at the bus station
A can of gold spray paint
A banana
A windows 95 upgrade CD
2mm allen wrench
My extra bunny slippers
And a mini etch-a-sketch

I had a bunch of other stuff in my camelback but a pack of Guu busted in it and I had to throw it all away.......jdcamb

·
Registered
74 Posts
Man, people carry a lot of sh...

Does everyone carry that much shlt with them? I have crashed on rides many a time, but I've never wished I had a first aid kit. The best feeling I could get after a crash was the comfort of home, however crappy of an apartment I lived in at the time :p . The only tools I carry in my camelback are glueless patches, levers and a pump . I'll carry a chain tool on really long rides, but that's about it. Why take all those tools with you? If you've been riding for a while, you've probably got your bike set up the way you like it so you don't need to adjust much on your bike. Also if you inspect your bike from time to time you can catch things like loose spokes. Nobody, or should I say almost nobody replaces spokes on the trail. You'd be there all day trying to do that. You just ride with a broken spoke, you probably won't even notice it. You should have a good selection of tools at home, but leave them at home, even the multi-tools. You're just lugging around extra weight.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I started carrying tools for a reason

I used to lead groups of boy scouts on sh!t bikes on long technical rides. Their bikes could and would break so I had to be prepared but damn if I was going to take them on a boring rail trail. Too many pampered suburbanites where I live already.

I forgot the large wrench I had to take along because quick releases were a luxury Wal-Mart often did not include on their bikes. Oh, yeah, plastic ties and odd sized tubes too although I did require the kids to carry an extra tube each that fit their bike, they did not always listen (well, their parents didn't).

Never lost a kid, did break a few bike parts though. Used to have one of the other adults carry the first aid kit.

·
uofabill
213 Posts
You're half right

pathfinder said:
Does everyone carry that much shlt with them? I have crashed on rides many a time, but I've never wished I had a first aid kit. The best feeling I could get after a crash was the comfort of home, however crappy of an apartment I lived in at the time :p . The only tools I carry in my camelback are glueless patches, levers and a pump . I'll carry a chain tool on really long rides, but that's about it. Why take all those tools with you? If you've been riding for a while, you've probably got your bike set up the way you like it so you don't need to adjust much on your bike. Also if you inspect your bike from time to time you can catch things like loose spokes. Nobody, or should I say almost nobody replaces spokes on the trail. You'd be there all day trying to do that. You just ride with a broken spoke, you probably won't even notice it. You should have a good selection of tools at home, but leave them at home, even the multi-tools. You're just lugging around extra weight.
On rides on the trails that you ride all the time you probably won't ever need most of/any of this stuff. If you do, you're probably within reasonable distance to your car.
When you "need" some of this weird stuff is on multi-day self supported trips like Kokopelli, White Rim, Maa Daa Hey, Copper Canyon in Mexico, or Great Divide Trail. Times when you may be 60 miles from your car or 800 miles from a shop that might have what you need. With most of the stuff it comes under the heading of "better to be safe than sorry."
I have used many of the items I carry to help other riders get going again rather than myself. It can be the difference of salvaging a great 8 day vacation from being a disaster.
Truth be told on my normal weekend rides I could get by with just water 90% of the time.

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
4-6 hour ride essentials...

After many years of hiking I've learned to carry only the essentials. I usually only ride 4-6 hours (15-25mi) at a time and here's what I bring:

Small "Dirtbag" (saddle type) containing-

pump
cO2 (one can)
glueless patches
tire levers
small psi gauge
multi-tool
my lights

Hydrapack Tracker containing-

70oz water
1st aid kit (hiker style)
a few bars/bag of nuts
spare car key
Deet
cell phone
another can of cO2
tightly rolled fleece pull-over

Sometimes I'll strap my fork pump on too if I'm unfamiliar with the trail conditions. I will also usually carry a single large water bottle on the bike filled with electrolyte of some brand or another (I prefer the clear ones). This gives me emergency tools, food, and clothing. The "hiker" style 1st aid kit has everything from water purification tabs, razorblade, scissors, rubber gloves, needle and nylon thread (mmm... trail side stitches!), to a thermal blanket, "feild survival guide", and various bandages. I also added matches, TP, and perscription pain pills. This all fits into a small velcro pouch. If the trailhead is far out from civilization I will bring my full tool kit and leave it in the car. And I always let people know where I'm going to be and when I plan to be back. This just might save your life if you ever ride alone.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hmm...I don't usually lug that much stuff unless it's a long ride. For an usual 10-15 mile ride, I take

Camelbak filled with water, about 2 liters
Topeak Alien multi-tool
CO2 thingie w/ 1 extra cartridge
1-2 spare tubes
cellphone
car keys

That's pretty much it. Then again I don't ride too far away from civilization. Even when I broke my hand it wasn't too bad walking my bike back to the car.

A windows 95 upgrade CD
Good for distracting mountain lions with the shiney side? ;)

·
Born of Fire
331 Posts
jdcamb said:
Pack of Altoids
1 Bandaid
Some marbles
Sewing kit
3M sticky notes
Indian head nickel
An electric motor out of a sex toy and some batteries
A Drew Bledsoe rookie card
Some speaker wire
A pamphlet some guy gave at the bus station
A can of gold spray paint
A banana
A windows 95 upgrade CD
2mm allen wrench
My extra bunny slippers
And a mini etch-a-sketch

I had a bunch of other stuff in my camelback but a pack of Guu busted in it and I had to throw it all away.......jdcamb
Don't forget a lighter and a big fatty!

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
pufdup said:
Don't forget a lighter and a big fatty!
Uh dude. I said I got Guu on some stuff right? Did I need to list that stuff too? No need to be mean and remind me I ruined my poetry. Well atleast I got a ride in.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts