Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new shocks for my bike. at the moment i've got rst launch forks and they dont move at all so i was thinking about getting some new shocks. I ride a diamondback compression 1 and i do dirt jumping downhill and a bit of xc. i was thinking about getting dirt jumper 3 or rock shock argyles the only problem is i'm on a buget. what sort of price should i be paying for the shocks?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ive just meassured how much travel im getting whith the rst forks. 20ml is all the travel i'm getting no mater how hard i push down i cant get the shocks to move more than 20ml. so is ther any whay i can get the rst forks to give me a bit more travel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today i took out one of the springs on the shocks they work perfect. but is there any way i can ajust the rebound because there not bouncing up fast enough?

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Just to review: your bike has a fork, one fork. Your bike has a shock, one shock. Not a pair of "forks", not a pair of "shocks". The fork goes in front, the shock goes in back. Carry on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick_M2R said:
The RST Launch is a huge POS, sorry to sound blunt but they are...

You are much better investing in a new fork

Ignore DJ3, they arnt that great either, look at DJ2 and up

Or go argyles, i recommend the 318, very nice and easy to service fork
i have to get the dj3 because i dont have a through axel

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Just say no to the Dirt Jumper series. They're saddled with port orifice damping systems which, while fine for dirt jumping, are pretty pathetic for XC or anything at speed.

Instead, look at Rock Shox Tora Race or Tora 318. Both can be found for under $200, and they both have adjustable travel and a proper compression damping system (though their rebound still has issues). They use steel steerer tubes and stanchions, so while they're heavier, they're robust enough for dirt jumping.

Finally, everything xcguy said is true.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bad mechanic said:
Just say no to the Dirt Jumper series. They're saddled with port orifice damping systems which, while fine for dirt jumping, are pretty pathetic for XC or anything at speed.

Instead, look at Rock Shox Tora Race or Tora 318. Both can be found for under $200, and they both have adjustable travel and a proper compression damping system (though their rebound still has issues). They use steel steerer tubes and stanchions, so while they're heavier, they're robust enough for dirt jumping.

Finally, everything xcguy said is true.
what about a 2008 140mm Fox Float RLC Racing Fork or a RockShox Tora 302 Solo Air 130mm

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
t20cricket said:
what about a 2008 140mm Fox Float RLC Racing Fork or a RockShox Tora 302 Solo Air 130mm
The Rock Shox Tora 302 as a rubbish damping system. Pass on it.

The Fox Float is an excellent fork with an excellent damping system. I highly recommend it.

My question is, what's your price range? Where are you finding these choices? There is a huge difference in price between a Tora 302 and a Float RLC.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My question is, what's your price range? Where are you finding these choices? There is a huge difference in price between a Tora 302 and a Float RLC.
on ebay. the tora is brand new and the float is 14 months old for about the same price what do you reckon i should get

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
It doesn't matter if the Tora is brand new or not, it's damping system still sucks.

Buy the Fox, change the oil, install Enduro seals, and you're good to go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know this post was originally centered around forks, but I have a question about shocks. I'm looking for a shock that would fit in a Giant vt3 frame. The shock that used to be in the frame was a manitou swinger 5''-5.75'' adjustable shock. Other than the amount of travel, what are the measuring dimensions of the shock I need to know? I'm browsing for shocks right now, and these are the options available: 6.5 x 1.5, 7.5 x 2, 7.875 x 2, and 7.875 x 2.25.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts