Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I heard some creking when pedaling hard/slow going up hills and sounded like it was coming from rear of bike, but could feel it all the way to bottom bracket. Only creaked on the right/drive side pedal stroke. So I tried tightening all pivots bolts. They were all tight, but here is the problem, the drive side rear pivot (above rear der.) is loose even with the bolt as tight as I can get it. When grabing and pulling the chainstay and seatstay of rear triangle away from eachother I can move both pieces. Soooo, anyone ever heard of this issue? Maybe a shorter bolt or longer bolt?
Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
"maybe a new bearing for that pivot ?"

Maybe?

I have a 2003 Truth. I called EW yesterday to inquire about replacement of the bearings. The Tech told me that wasn't probably needed. "Just remove the "blue" cap from the bearing and re-grease with a light, high quality grease."

As soon as this summer head/chest cold passes I will try it.

Durkind, if you are brave enough, pull both pivot bolts & compare them.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
The treads are through holes in the stay so you should be able to look and see the end of the bold from the inside. Thus, bolt length shouldn't matter unless it's cross threaded or something.

How much motion is in the pivot? I second the idea that there is something wrong with the bearing.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Ellsworth and they need to create a shim around the sealed bearing as there is too much space and the bearing is sliding out too easily. We shall see.

·
Registered
234 Posts
happened to me too...

It was my non-drive side horst link pivot. They pressed the bearing out, put blue loc tite on it, and pressed it back in. You have to let it dry for 24 hours then go ride! Multiple races and rides and it is tight and no creaking or play!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Feeling much better today. Summer colds are the worst.

Spent some time in my shop and disassembled the two bottom rear pivots on my Truth.

This is the first time the rear triangle has been apart since I built the bike.

Both rear bearings have some grease left in the top 1/2 but the bearings are welded.

I tried just about everything non-destructive to get them to turn. Nada.

Looks like I will be getting a bearing kit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.