Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a an '07 Fox 32 Vanilla 140 travel fork.
It is my first coil fork and I am looking forward to setting it up this weekend.

It seems the default coil is for 150-180lbs riders. Right now, I am about 190-195.
It came with a lighter purple spring, but not the heavier green spring it seems I need.

So here are my questions:

How soft is it going to be riding the stock spring till I acquire the appropriate one?
I found that w/ an air fork, with the pressure too low, it would dive excessively, usually when hopping a log or hitting a rock garden, with sketchy results. Should I expect the same?

What are the effects of jacking up the preload to compensate for a slightly soft spring rate?

Other than the fox spring, are there any other options out there? Can a coil from another manufacturer's 32 stanchion fork work? The point of which is either A) find one that is has a better weight range for me, or B) use a Zoke Ti spring and save a little weight.

FInally, if anyone has a heavier spring they don't need, let me know.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Is it an RC? does it has compression adjuster? (blue knob on right leg)
Preload will do a little but not much. Ride it, see how it feels and then get the harder spring if you need it. I'm not sure other manufacturer springs are interchangeable due to internal differences (may work but maybe not optimal or could cause internal damage?)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.