Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really hope someone can help me! Spring is coming and gotta get my bike ready!
-Building an air9(geared version) but want to go single speed!
-using xx1 crank- and would prefer to keep xx1 chainring(any users out there?)
What do you think would be the best method of converting this air9 to single speed? and what all would I need? and....
anyone using an xx1 crank as well?
-I DEEPLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use the xx1 cranks. I use a spiderless MRP Bling Ring though. My new cranks didnt come with the chain ring. There is no special thing to do with the crank for single speed. Just need to space it correctly for your frame/bottom bracket configuration. The cranks have a preload adjuster to take out that last couple of mm play you may have after using the stock spacers. Chain line can be achieved by spacers on the rear hub. Might take a while to get the cranks just right.
As far as chain tensioning the White Industries Eno Eccentric hub is nice just have to get the disc caliper alignment right. There are a few Eccentric BB options for the Pressfit BB30 frames. You can also go the easiest route and just through a chain tensioner on it. If you are switching back and fourth to gears this might be the cheapest way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
if it has the CYA bottom bracket you can use their biocentric ebb (air9 carbon, air 9RDO models).

the endless cogs - fibonacci spacer kit is really nice for getting the chainline spot on. they also have nice cogs. get a cog with a wide base (endless, ck, niner, surly), they're nicer to your freehub.

i don't know how narrow the xx1 chain and chainring are and if this will be a problem with a ss cog. hopefully someone with more knowledge can clear this up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Assuming you have the aluminum air9 I would reach out to Niner to see when their BB30 EBB will be available. That will solve the tensioning piece. Not sure the cranks will fit or not so worth a call to Niner. They are good about responding.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've got the 2012 Aluminum hydroformed Air 9 and I just run a problem solvers e46 eccentric bottom bracket. They have a kit that will allow it to use GXP cranks. If your crank is BB30 you'll have to use a tensioner or eccentric hub.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts