Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help picking the right bikes by Specialized for husband and I...?
we have a bike shop that is helping us and we are able to get Specialized bikes but also open to other brands but have really been studying and testing the Specialized brand......but anyway what we are torn between are really these models....

Specialized - Hardrock and Myka (female version for me) more an all terrain

Expedition or Carmel - Comfort bike

and the Crosstrail and Ariel (female version) - hybrid

We live close to the creeper trail and will be riding it a lot but also riding some in our neighborhood paved roads, some dirt trails, gravel, etc

We dont want to be limited to one thing or another so I would say it would be 40% street and 60 packed trails, dirt, sand, etc

So im really torn as to what bikes to get. My husband and I are getting bikes to ride for fun and get back in shape as we are overweight but not obese. We are both in our late 20s. So just wondering on some opinions as im having trouble deciding which style to get!!

·
Trying not to kill myself
391 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Since this is a mountain bike site, hopefully you're expecting a bit of bias in the answers...;) I assume by the creeper trail, you mean the Virginia Creeper which is a rail trail. Given that and the other conditions you describe, I'd recommend going with the hybrid Crosstrail and Ariel. They're capable off-road unless you're on some really rough trails, yet they still perform well on pavement. Comfort bikes are less at home when you go offroad, and the mountain bikes are probably overkill for your desired type of fitness riding. Before I got back into mountain biking, my wife and I had Giant hybrids and we had a really good time riding rail trails and greenways.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for the welcome....yes I did expect a bias! Haha....Great that you recommended the crosstrail...now my next ? is this - my husband and I have become a little overweight in this past year...:mad: but Im hoping that will change with our motivation to ride bikes and be more active....so my question is can these bikes handle "weight" and I mean 200lbs or more? I know MTB are a little more beefy....also are these bikes "beginner" friendly? Since we havent ridden since we were kids!

·
391 Posts
Any of the bikes you're looking at can handle 200+ lbs with no problems at all. And I'd say they're all beginner friendly and will take no time at all to be comfortable on. The shop employees can help with any questions about shifting and things like that, and you can always ask here as well. The most important thing is that you get the right size frame, and then have the bike shop adjust the seat height and handlebar position for you.

One thing to keep in mind is that the hybrids have 700c wheels (29") while the regular Hard Rock/Myka will have 26". The larger wheels are the same size found on road bikes and have some real advantages, but if you or your husband are not very tall they might not be as comfortable. In that case the smaller wheels of the MTB may be a better fit. The only way to know for sure is to take them for a test ride and see what you think, If the mountain bikes are more comfortable to you, you can always swap the tires for some that are better suited to pavement and pathways, though the stock rubber is pretty versatile.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your bike shop will help you get fitted on the correct size. It looks like you are both average enough sized to have options on size.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would say go for the Specialized - Hardrock and Myka. Just my opinion. Have fun with what ever ones you get! Congrats and make sure to post pics when you get them. Make sure you get a couple helmets, gloves, water bottles and maybe a spare tube or two!

·
391 Posts
thatdirtykid said:
It looks like you are both average enough sized to have options on size.
I agree - either of you should be comfortable on 26" or 29" wheels. Just do some test rides and see which one is more natural feeling. It's possible that one of you may like the larger wheels and the other doesn't (the Hard Rock does come in a 29er version).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.