Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey MTBR,

We all talk about developing the younger generation of cyclists, but a lot of times the intermediate steps get lost in the flurry.

Our cycling program here at Michigan Technological University is attempting to become varsity. Our athletic department has our proposal and is reviewing it. We created a petition to demonstrate that there is outside support for collegiate cycling and our team. If you could read it, and (if you like what you see), sign it and share it, that would be a tremendous help to our program. Thanks!
chn.ge/1gPgdy2

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Why are you trying to become varsity? My school team is technically a club with the school, as are most other collegiate teams. For the most part, events are just like any other USAC-sanctioned races that you see. It's as competitive as you want it to be. Some teams are a lot more professional and serious, and others are more relaxed, mostly out there to have a good time and meet new people around the country.

There is very much collegiate cycling across the country, with National Championship events for road, mtb, BMX, and track. Road Nationals are coming up in two or three weeks. Teams represent schools from all over the country and race other schools in the same conference. I believe there are six collegiate conferences across the US right now.

There are more details on the USAC website, and there's also a high-school/collegiate subforum here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reasons behind wanting to become a varsity program are outlined a little in our petition. Here's a few of the big reasons-
-More funding as a varsity team will allow us to pursue our goals of adding more students to the National podiums as well as offering more students and athletes the ability to race. This also frees up more money for our club, which will let them expand their impact on the University and offer more for students.
-Although we are MTU's most successful sports program, we have yet to receive any recognition as such. Our athletes are putting in between 6-16 hours of training per week, plus racing and traveling. Even though this is actually more time commitment than some of the current varsity sports, we aren't being recognized for our dedication and talent, and do not receive any benefits of varsity programs such as private locker space or access to athletic trainers.
-Our school has an excellent on-campus trails system, as within an hour's drive of five other trails systems. The cycling infrastructure in the area alone is plenty to attract riders to campus, and we would like to see these utilized more.
-While our club is relaxed and rides bikes for fun, those of us who race are dead serious about what we do. Splitting into a separate club and varsity team would divide the level of seriousness between the two. Anybody would be able to join either or both (provided they have the commitment level required for the varsity team).

This has been something our program has pursued for 5-6 years now, and we've really buckled down to make sure it becomes a reality.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
The reasons behind wanting to become a varsity program are outlined a little in our petition. Here's a few of the big reasons-
-More funding as a varsity team will allow us to pursue our goals of adding more students to the National podiums as well as offering more students and athletes the ability to race. This also frees up more money for our club, which will let them expand their impact on the University and offer more for students.
-Although we are MTU's most successful sports program, we have yet to receive any recognition as such. Our athletes are putting in between 6-16 hours of training per week, plus racing and traveling. Even though this is actually more time commitment than some of the current varsity sports, we aren't being recognized for our dedication and talent, and do not receive any benefits of varsity programs such as private locker space or access to athletic trainers.
-Our school has an excellent on-campus trails system, as within an hour's drive of five other trails systems. The cycling infrastructure in the area alone is plenty to attract riders to campus, and we would like to see these utilized more.
-While our club is relaxed and rides bikes for fun, those of us who race are dead serious about what we do. Splitting into a separate club and varsity team would divide the level of seriousness between the two. Anybody would be able to join either or both (provided they have the commitment level required for the varsity team).

This has been something our program has pursued for 5-6 years now, and we've really buckled down to make sure it becomes a reality.
Ok, now I understand where you're coming from. But posting that survey on an international forum is the wrong way to get your team recognized by the university. I'm not going to sign your survey because it has no impact on my own personal life, seeing as how I'm across the country from you. Maybe try to get signatures the "old-fashioned" way and sit outside at campus somewhere to collect signatures from people who actually attend your school.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.