Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the Bike Boutique guys is in a dilemma and needs some input. He has 2 frames and a build kit. Which frame will he build? He has an Intense 5.5 and a Turner Six Pack frame staring him in the face like puppies in a window jumping up and down going "Pick me, pick me".

His background is that he is mainly a trail rider. He has ventured into light freeride, but has no aspirations of have one on one duels with Tyler Klassen that the RBR. He needs to pedal, but also wants to raise the light FR bar a bit this year as well. Both bikes would hold up fine to what he intends to do... but which one will make it easier? Which one will do BOTH things better? Will the weight penalty of the 6 pack absolutely kill him? These the questions he is struggling with.

Any one care to weigh in and help a brother out?

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
I've never ridden a six pack, so I can't comment on that.

I weigh about 200 pounds and am 36 years old, and do all kinds of riding. To give you an idea, my stable includes:
GT DHi downhill bike (for sale)
Azonic Evolution jumping/oversized BMX bike/ XC bike/ do everything bike
Surly 1x1 singlespeed
GT ZR1000 road bike
GT Pro Series 24 BMX bike
Intense UZZI SLX (for sale)
Intense UZZI VPX (in the build process and replacing the SLX and DHi)
Intense 5.5

I've found the 5.5 to be a well-rounded bike capable of doing everything. I do many of my XC rides on it, and have, on occasion found myself riding DH with it (I went to Big Bear to do a weekend of XC, but I ended up doing all DH the whole time - many DH guys were shocked to be passed by a guy on an "XC" bike with just a normal helmet and no pads - in the really nasty sections, not on the flats!). I often ride aggressively, including often jumping the bike, and just having a good time with it. Best of all, it's very responsive with the correct height fork.

I'd be willing to bet that your friend won't go wrong with either frame, I like my 5.5.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
PackV5.5

Given his background the 5.5 is probably the better choice. The 5 Spot would be a more direct competitor but it's probably still a little heavier and has a slacker HA. than the 5.5. If you're not doing big drops the 6 pack's overkill.

·
Bike Hoor
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water under the bridge now.. and he has decided to build up the Six Pack. We are about 50% of the way through the build and the thing is absolutely amazing. I am more impressed with this Turner than any other I have seen to date... and I have seen them all. The Six Pack really fits a niche that no one else seems to have really tried to fill as of yet. SC's Nomad may be the closest thing to date.

Maybe next year he will move to a Intense 6.6 if this works out for him.

Thanks for the input though guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.