Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am a newbie to FS bikes.

Just picked up a 2004 Cannondale Jekyll 600 Disc, which I'm really pleased with.

I have a question regarding fork suspension in general that doesn't seeme to be adressed anywhere I have looked.

Travel:

My Jekyll came with the Manitou Black Elite shock that has adjustable travel.
My question is this: What benefit is there to shorter travel? There must be some benefit, since at first it seems the more travel the better is the case.
All the shock mfg's seem to proclaim bigger and bigger travels, and if so, why would we want to shorten it on purpose?

The only thing that I haven't tried is for steep climbs to shorten the travel. Often, I am faced on steep climbs with the problem of little weight on the front wheel, and this makes it difficult to steer. Would dropping the front fork travel 20mm cause a weight shift forward to increase front wheel weight?

Hope someone can shed some light.

·
2,548 Posts
ShawnsJekyll said:
The only thing that I haven't tried is for steep climbs to shorten the travel. Often, I am faced on steep climbs with the problem of little weight on the front wheel, and this makes it difficult to steer. Would dropping the front fork travel 20mm cause a weight shift forward to increase front wheel weight?
You answered yer own ??? in that last paragraph........dropping the fork a bit will lower the front end and allow it to be a little more weighted.......also, (I guess) shortening it on level ground would steepen yer head angle, giving you "snappier" handling, say, for racing or somethin', but dunno if the front/rear imbalance would feel strange.
But, yeah, dropping it on climbs is probably the only beneficial time to do so. Give it a try :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts