Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Pivot Trail 429 & Switchblade
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The arm hits about halfway up the front tire. I can spin the tire (ccw) which then grabs the sidearm and drags it over the tire. It just seems it should be easier than that since they claim to be able to accomodate 29" wheels. Maybe it's the massive Rampages causing part of the problem.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
edbraunbeck said:
The arm hits about halfway up the front tire. I can spin the tire (ccw) which then grabs the sidearm and drags it over the tire. It just seems it should be easier than that since they claim to be able to accomodate 29" wheels. Maybe it's the massive Rampages causing part of the problem.
Don't have a Sidearm. But looking at the manual it looks like it could be modified IF there's nothing else wrong, i.e. the support arm hook is all the way extended and all that sort of stuff.

Me, I'd drill a couple holes in the base plate and move the wheel loop back a little bit. Looks like that could be done with minimal work and the wheel loop can be moved back to the normal position.

This is all from looking at the manual online, so all the normal C my A stuff applies.

Monte

·
Registered
Pivot Trail 429 & Switchblade
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Monte,

Great minds think alike! I considered that but just have issues with modifying a product that is claimed to already work. It wasn't cheap to begin with.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Problem Solved

There is not enough room at the apex of the tire/rim for the hook to clear, but once you get past that point you are fine. The trick is to never drag the hook/arm over th tire, but swing it around the tire, then lock:

Put bike on rack, extend sidearm all the way at bottom of tire.

Push bike forward in rack about 6" or so, then swing the rack up till the hook almost touches the fork.

Bring the bike back toward you, the hook should clear the tire at this point. Pull the hook down and lock. It will probably only ratchet 1-2 times, but that will be fine.

Will work, even with Rampages. Works for me with every 29er I have ever put on the rack. You do not need to modify the rack.

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
My thule does the same, it is the hitch mount
It is the tire size that kills it- as I run rampages as well, a narrower mtn tire does fine.

I just lean the bike away from the hook, lift the arm unitl it passes the apex, lean the bike back and tighten. Spoke to the guys at REI, their solution was a) smaller tires= not an option b) let air out of tire= pain in the A double S. I like my solution the best (actually I think it was the suggestion of someone on MTBR). Goob locke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.