Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Vetta RT88 wireless computer for xmas and i cant get the darn thing to pick up the magnet signal. the instructions show the magnet needing to be about 1.5mm away from the sensor, but that is impossible.. near the tire its a good 2" away and at the hub its a solid inch.. i've tried like 4 positions from the hub to the rim and it just doesnt pick up.

it has the batteries in.. the head part is setup.. power on the head.. i confirmed the sensor battery is installed correctly..

any ideas on how to mount the sensor closer to the spokes? gah!

thanks
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
Kinda hard not knowing what fork/wheel setup you've got as well as magnet mount/pickup type (did you get more than one type of magnet in your kit?)...you got pics?
 

·
Custom User Title:
Joined
·
66 Posts
I looks like the sensor is one piece, my cateye pivots so you can get it in the correct spot. They have "Wired Sensor Shim" on the web site maybe you can rig something up, do you have an old tube?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hrm well i got it. kinda dumb, but i had a picture from a magazine in my head of this exact sensor mounted and i pictured it as facing straight ahead all aerodynamic and nice. but in actuallity i had to toe it in a lot so the tip would be close enough to the spokes. i then check that mag pic and thats how their's was too.

so thats that i guess.. not as cool looking as it could be, but it works!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
Not only the sensor in relation to the magnet is important also the distance from the sensor to the computer is equally important. Check to see if there is any distance limitations in the owner's manual.
HuffyMan said:
hrm well i got it. kinda dumb, but i had a picture from a magazine in my head of this exact sensor mounted and i pictured it as facing straight ahead all aerodynamic and nice. but in actuallity i had to toe it in a lot so the tip would be close enough to the spokes. i then check that mag pic and thats how their's was too.

so thats that i guess.. not as cool looking as it could be, but it works!
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,686 Posts
I gave up on the wireless because I could only get it to work if the computer was in the perfect spot, which was directly over the sending unit at a bad angle . try moving the computer closer to the sending unit (even if you have to hold it in your hands) just to see if it works. another drawback is the sending unit batteries are on allways so by them in bulk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ah, i wondered how long theyd last.

i went for a 9 mile ride with three good spills and the computer worked fine the whole time. i think its good to go now, just had to find the sweet spot for mounting the sensor
 

·
Custom User Title:
Joined
·
66 Posts
HuffyMan said:
^ah, i wondered how long theyd last.

i went for a 9 mile ride with three good spills and the computer worked fine the whole time. i think its good to go now, just had to find the sweet spot for mounting the sensor
Ditto I went down hard to day and broke my bracket, my hip does not feel any better ether! That was the hardest I ever went down!
 

·
Custom User Title:
Joined
·
66 Posts
carlsturm said:
Are zip ties an option?
Yeah zip ties hold the bracket to the H-bars, I can get a replacement for 2.00 so that was better than breaking the computer or sensor. When I hit it rip the bracket with two small zip ties right off. I was lucky when I was laying on the ground try to catch my breath I saw it sitting there. If not I would have never known it was gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,958 Posts
HuffyMan said:
I got a Vetta RT88 wireless computer for xmas and i cant get the darn thing to pick up the magnet signal. the instructions show the magnet needing to be about 1.5mm away from the sensor, but that is impossible.. near the tire its a good 2" away and at the hub its a solid inch.. i've tried like 4 positions from the hub to the rim and it just doesnt pick up.

it has the batteries in.. the head part is setup.. power on the head.. i confirmed the sensor battery is installed correctly..

any ideas on how to mount the sensor closer to the spokes? gah!

thanks
Given up on the RT88; same problem. I think it works only on line of sight and can be blocked by handlebar gear. I mounted the magnet and sender and held the receiver in different positions to test it. I even mounted the sensing unit backwards on the left fork leg to get it in better position. Tried a bigger magnet. None of this has worked, although I have had a signal temporarily and got some mileage out of it. The RT88 has been off and on my bike several times. Best wishes.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top