Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace them after 7 years of riding. I have the spares, but not sure about how to proceed now, after having removed the Fatty telescope and components. I have the hollow shaft (or steerer, static part of the telescope) in place but am afraid to hit it to push it out. Anybody has a sketch or cross-section of this part of the bike?

Thanks, from Spain.

Leo

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
having removed the Fatty telescope and components. I have the hollow shaft (or steerer, static part of the telescope) in place but am afraid to hit it to push it out. I assume that the telescope you refer to is the stem and handlebars, correct? If so, get a soft face hammer, or a block of wood, and a metal hammer. Have a friend hang onto the fork as you hit the top of the fork, down and out of the frame. If it is rusty, apply some penetrating oil, and let it sit a while first, after 7 years, they can be pretty stuck! After this part, you will have a fork that you can take somewhere to have rebuilt, and a new bottom bearing installed at the same time, because you will be at rebuild stage just to get the old bearing off. If you are very lucky, the bottom bearing will stay stuck in the frame, and you can gently tap it out with a long punch, from the inside. Hit 1 side, then the other to walk it out. Same for top bearing. Get a piece of PVC pipe that slides over the steerer of your fork with the best "non wobbly" fit. Use this to punch down your lower bearing over the first bearing seat, down to it's proper place, then seat it down tightly, using the PVC as a slide hammer. The fit the bearing back up into the cup in the frame, drop the top bearing onto the steerer, and slide hammer it into place, while holding tight to the fork so it does not slip during seating of the top bearing. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. The fork itself, I have it dissassembled (together with the moving part of the Fatty telescope, needles, etc.), so what I have left is the hollow steerer where the stem is clamped.

I'll continue during the weekend and will come back with the outcome.

Thanks again.

Leo (Spain)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. Finished. Thanks MendonCycleSmith for your help.

And yes, it took a while to put all suspension components back in place, but I took the opportunity to clean everything up and put new bearing grease. Feels like new now. (I took measurements before dis-assembly, so I just had to figure out a way to hold things together while assemblying back).

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
Leo Rota said:
OK. Finished. Thanks MendonCycleSmith for your help.

And yes, it took a while to put all suspension components back in place, but I took the opportunity to clean everything up and put new bearing grease. Feels like new now. (I took measurements before dis-assembly, so I just had to figure out a way to hold things together while assemblying back).
You are the Man! I am assuming you have some mechanical background? You have accomplished a difficult thing, hope it works well, and safely for you. Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.