Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my bike weight right now, 29.5lbs... Few part have been changed since i bought it heres the spec :

Frame : Devinci Cameleon 2004 (18inch)

Fork : Marzocchi EXR Pro 120mm (I like it, but its heavy)

Front And Rear Wheels : Alexrims FD16 on Dt Swiss Spokes and XT Hubs (I like them a lot so nothing to be changed here, realy light to)

Tires : Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 (700g) (they are not in the pics, bike setuped for indoor training)

Tubes : Regular IRC (200g each :) )

Cranks : Shimano Alivio Octalink 175mm (left arm striped) (They seem very durable, never had cracking sound or anything andd the bb is very smooth over 5000km on it)

BashRing : Blackspire RingGod (lol, i will remove it and only put 2 ring)

Pedal : Unknow Ritchey Pedal

Shifter : Shimano Deore (modified, no indicator)

F/D : Shimano Deore

R/D : Shimano Deore LX

Cassette : Sram PG-970

Chain : HG-53

Seatpost : A cheap kalloy seatpost (Cuted to 220mm, pretty light)

Seat : Velo Pronto z2 243g (OEM opus road bike seat)

Brake Levers : Avid FR-5 (Work so well)

Brake : 2 x Hayes Mx-1 6inch (don't wantt to go v-brake)

Grip : Some Heavy Lock-on (open to suggestion)

HandleBar and Stem : Some kalloy stuff (I can't realy change the stem because of its angle and lengh, but i am open to suggestion on a 1.5inch handlebar

BottleCage : 6$ Plastic Bottle cage, lighter then carbon one :)

SeatPost clamp : Kalloy QR, will change it for a bolt clamp, the kalloy is pretty much dead !

-------------------------------------------------------

I want to put this bike at 26.5lbs, i don't want to pay a shitload of money for losing 100g, i want the best price/weight ratio possible...

I was thinking to upgrade the tire,grip,tubes and maybe a crank and maybe pedal also...

Panaracer Fire Xc Pro ----------------------------->Panaracer SpeedBlaster Racelite
Those Cheap lock-on ------------------------------>Titec Pork Rinds
Tubes ---------------------------------------------------->Panaracer GreenLite 99g
Cranks ---------------------------------------------------> ?
Pedals ---------------------------------------------------> ?

EDIT

My bike will be used with those light tire and tubes for XC RACE, i am an allmountain rider and i have other tire for training...

I was also thinking about puting a Ultegra 12-17 cassette with a Shimano 105 Short Cage ? Does it will work ? Because it will save some weight and will loks cool ! My deore lx piss me off (long cage) it does'nt shift so well and the chain is very loose... (i also bent it a few times... (Plyers rocks)

Fork could be changed... but i would like something very durable that can stand abuse (145lbs rider)

Wheels are brand new !

ANY IDEA HOW TO LOSE LOTS OF WEIGHT ! :) :) :) :)

Attachments

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
I don't know where to begin.. theres really not a single 'light' part on your bike, and some of the things i am going to reccomend may be too expensive, so take it with grain of salt:)

Frame : Devinci Cameleon 2004 (18inch) - Probably very heavy, but for now it will do:)

Fork : Marzocchi EXR Pro 120mm (I like it, but its heavy) - Anything that runs on Air... Does the bike handle nicely with 120mm? If so, then something like a Fox Float, or even a Rockshox Reba??

Front And Rear Wheels : Alexrims FD16 on Dt Swiss Spokes and XT Hubs (I like them a lot so nothing to be changed here, realy light to) - Definately NOT light, i'm sure they are an awesome wheelset for trail riding, but if you want to race, you could benefiet from lighter wheels, something like DT d4.1 rims, supercomp spokes, Alloy nips and something like Hope XC hubs will do nicely (hope hubs are a good combo of durability and cost, if you want ot save lots of weight, consider AM classic hubs, but these are known to have some problems with some people).

Tires : Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 (700g) (they are not in the pics, bike setuped for indoor training) - Anything under or around 500grams. Kevlar bead.

Tubes : Regular IRC (200g each :) ) - Get some light weight tubes at around 125grams, don't go too light as you may get punctures. Also consider something like Stans.

Cranks : Shimano Alivio Octalink 175mm (left arm striped) (They seem very durable, never had cracking sound or anything andd the bb is very smooth over 5000km on it) - Sounds like you need a new crankset, look at something like Raceface Deus or the new Shimano XT's, these are fairly durable and will be alot lighter then you current.

BashRing : Blackspire RingGod (lol, i will remove it and only put 2 ring) - If you need it, keep it.

Pedal : Unknow Ritchey Pedal - Egg beaters will be a nice upgrade and can be had for farily cheap.

Shifter : Shimano Deore (modified, no indicator) - Keep for now until they wear out.

F/D : Shimano Deore - Keep for now until it wears out or something...

R/D : Shimano Deore LX - You said it was bent, so it probably needs replacing. IF you don't ned your big range cassette (like the 32-34 rear cog), then you could go for a roadie cassette. But i would say get something liek a Med cage XT derialeur, so in the future you can go back to a bigger cassette if you want.

Cassette : Sram PG-970 - Roadie cassette or something like a SRam 990 or XT when it wears out.

Chain : HG-53 - Replace this with something a little more high end when you replace the cassette.

Seatpost : A cheap kalloy seatpost (Cuted to 220mm, pretty light) - Keep for now.

Seat : Velo Pronto z2 243g (OEM opus road bike seat) - Look at a lighter seat, does it have Ti rails?

Brake Levers : Avid FR-5 (Work so well) - Keep, unless your going hydro disc.

Brake : 2 x Hayes Mx-1 6inch (don't wantt to go v-brake) - Heavy, consider a light weight Hydro setup in rthe future, it will be a HUGE performance boost, and save some nice weight at the same time:) Magura Marta's, Hope mono mini, Formula Oro's are all nice lighter weight setups.

Grip : Some Heavy Lock-on (open to suggestion) - Look into foam grips and use some sort of light adhesive to secure them.

HandleBar and Stem : Some kalloy stuff (I can't realy change the stem because of its angle and lengh, but i am open to suggestion on a 1.5inch handlebar - You can change this stuff, just make sure it has the same dimensions. Seeing as your bike is an All mountain hardtail, i'm going to tell you not to get Carbon handlebars as it sounds like you crash a bit, if you don't crash too much, then get some nice carbon bars, they are very strong.

BottleCage : 6$ Plastic Bottle cage, lighter then carbon one :) - Keep, although a cateye plastic one would look better on your bike and holdthe bottle better:)

SeatPost clamp : Kalloy QR, will change it for a bolt clamp, the kalloy is pretty much dead ! - Get a generic bolt on.

Also, get some bolt on skewers for your wheels.

I know you said that you don't want to only save 100grams at a time, but thats really the only way you will get a much lighter bike, by slowly loosing weight..

The frame, fork, brakes, crankset and wheels have alot of weight in them though:)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the huge reply...

Yeah those wheel are a little bit heavy but i think they will do for now, they are realy strong ! Never trued them for about 2000km (since i got them), the xt hubs never needed cleaning to ! So i will keep them unless i got a VERY good deal on some light wheel (crossmax...)

I don't realy need the ring god to... lol removing it give me a huge ground clearence !

I might get a nice deal if i buy the cranks,cassette,chain,derailleur at the same time !

But i think i will buy the tire and tubes before... (rotational weight)

I forgot to specify, i am 16 years old i don't have a very big budget to... I was thinking about buying a fox vanilla rlc but i am not sure now... $$$

------------------

Brakes : You would be surprised how mine brake well with avid fr-5 lever its comparable with my friend hfx-9 6inch, no joke. (i just need new pad each year and keep them adjusted well)
and for the chain, i broke several chain the only chain that seems to keep up are the Shimano HG (never tried wipperman chain) so maybe an hg73 or 93 in the future

Does the Xt Hollowtech 2 Realy worth going for them over the Hone or LX almost 100$ cheaper ? (LBS, i cannot buy online)

Yeah my frame is heavy... 4.5lbs...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
oink! hehe, okay, sell the bike, get a 26.5 pound ride, this is likely the most economical solution for a 30# hardtail depending on your upgrade budget, but not one I think your interested in.

In that case, as your wear items degrade swap them out:

1. a new BB/crankset when your rings wear, then you might as well go with a light cassette, XT rear derailleur and KMC chain. about
2. 500 gram tires, and regular 140g tubes
3. Hope alloy/stainless discs

Then, get another wheelset, use your current set for the trainer or backup for rough riding or mud. I'd get the wheelset and tires first myself, it's a change that you might actually notice some performance gains from and drop the weight significantly.

Foam grips are another easy 50grams. As are a new set of bars, which can be fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
LOL

i just noticed how my bike looks ugly in the pics lol :rolleyes: :D

------------------------------------
I was thinking about that...

I change the tire and tubes this year and nothing else and i start saving for a nice hardtail (i always dreamed about a RM Vertex, Xt everywhere,Juicy5, and a fox vanilla rlc, with current wheel) :)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Yeah, if your really planning on doing a serious upgrade of most of the components, economically you are better off getting a new bike. There are some damn good 2005 close outs and can easily score a 25-26 lb hardtail around a grand. And ebay is another good place to check especially if you are willing to get a good condition used bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.