Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my name is mike and i am trying to get into mountain biking as a new means of exercise. I have lost 70lbs over the last year and am looking for a new and awesome way to work out. i live in Charlotte NC and am looking at getting my first bike. My budget is $600. I have narrowed it down to two bikes and i am looking for some suggestions and advice..choice #1 is a slightly used 2008 Haro Shift V3 with disc brakes and full suspension for $500 and my second option is a 2010 Trek 4300 with disc brakes and front suspension for $560.....which one would you guys choose or should i look at something else? thanks!

·
pants on head retarded
256 Posts
For a first bike most folks (myself included) recommend going with a hardtail over full suspension. For me there are two main reasons:

1) Hardtail forces you to pick your lines better on trails-- doesn't let you be as lazy about your riding (and makes you spend more time ass-out-of-the-seat)
2) You don't know what you want in a bike yet. It takes time and riding to start to feel how a bike performs and really figure out what you want.

An important note is sizing the bike-- the new Trek can be properly sized for you. The Haro might be/might not be and it will definitely impact how much you enjoy riding it.

In the end though, put your ass in both the seats for a bit and see which one you like more.

·
Registered
259 Posts
of course you should look at something else. What else does your lbs offer?

i looked at the 4300 disc also, its comparable to a rockhopper and the f7, but the f7 is a bit more expensive. The rockhopper should be the lightest of the bunch, which will allow you to go a bit faster overall.

Check out the specialized subforum, there are many people that ride rockhoppers there. i'd reckon its the most popular XC bike sold in the recent years

·
Pretty in Pink
628 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
of course you should look at something else. What else does your lbs offer?

i looked at the 4300 disc also, its comparable to a rockhopper and the f7, but the f7 is a bit more expensive. The rockhopper should be the lightest of the bunch, which will allow you to go a bit faster overall.

Check out the specialized subforum, there are many people that ride rockhoppers there. i'd reckon its the most popular XC bike sold in the recent years
But also keep in mind that fit is far more important than weight. In your price range 90% of the bikes will have similar build and components, the difference will come down mostly to geometry, and service/warranty. Go try them out at your LBS buy the one that feels best, ride the hell out of it. And when you are ready buy another bike that fits, you will know more what you are looking for the 2nd time around for sure.

(pick up a decent helmet too, for fear of gumballs falling from the sky)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
You should hop into Performance Bike (www.performancebike.com) and also take a look at the GT Avalanche 2. At $420 (on sale) I'd call it comparable to the Trek.

The Haro looks like a reasonable deal. But as it is used you'd better check it carefully for broken parts and maybe calculate $50 for a professional quick tune up (adjust shifting, headset, check & true the wheels). Maybe spare parts like a new chain.

If you do not own a Helmet, gloves, bike pump, patch kit, tire levers and a multi tool - calculate another $60 or so. You need all this. Especially Helmet and gloves. The tools when you go beyond walking distance or when the cell phone cannot ensure a convinent bail.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Have you check your LBS for 2009 models? I was also looking for a bike a few weeks ago and at about the same budget, I bet you probably looked at many that I also looked at. I decided on a 2009 Cannondale F5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.