Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help here! I've got a platform pedal stuck on the left crank arm. I've gone through 2 pedal wrenches, 2 crescent wrenches, and 2 allen wrenches trying to get it off. I've tried pliers, a plumbers wrench, and even tried drilling it out from the back. No luck. I'm turning the correct way to loosen but the darn thing won't budge! It's a new XT crankset so I'm worried about trashing the arm.

ANY SUGGESTIONS BEFORE I TAKE IT IN TO THE SHOP AND LET THEM WORRY ABOUT IT? :confused:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Lactic said:
Need a little help here! I've got a platform pedal stuck on the left crank arm. I've gone through 2 pedal wrenches, 2 crescent wrenches, and 2 allen wrenches trying to get it off. I've tried pliers, a plumbers wrench, and even tried drilling it out from the back. No luck. I'm turning the correct way to loosen but the darn thing won't budge! It's a new XT crankset so I'm worried about trashing the arm.

ANY SUGGESTIONS BEFORE I TAKE IT IN TO THE SHOP AND LET THEM WORRY ABOUT IT? :confused:
The left pedal uses reverse threading. Are you turning lefty-loosey? If so, you are tightening it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep

.thumper. said:
The left pedal uses reverse threading. Are you turning lefty-loosey? If so, you are tightening it.
Righty-loosey... or was it lefty-tighty. Either way, I'm unscrewing the correct direction for the left crankarm. Thanks though.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
The Park Pro Wrench is the best I've found. You can get some serious torque on it because the wrench flats have two different angles, not just 90 deg. like the standard wrench. If you don't want to buy one, take it to the shop.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
I have definitely happened to me... I wanted to put platforms on for this one ride, and well, I couldn't get the pedal off. Got pretty pissed, took off the crankarm, hooked it up to a vise grip (I was really pissed by this poing :p lol) and used a series of wrenches with a cheater bar--and yea, I was unscrewing it the right way... Never did get it out because someone has stolen my bike since (sigh, if anyone sees a Black/Red/White Stumpjumper FSR XC Pro with the rear shock installed upside down, please send me a message!)... guess it's their problem now.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep

Picked up the Park Pro pedal wrench yesterday and it didn't last 5 minutes. The metal bent and mushroomed against the awesome strength of a $10 pedal. I'm going to take the crankarm off and take it to a good shop in town. Thanks!

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Are you sure....

Lactic said:
Picked up the Park Pro pedal wrench yesterday and it didn't last 5 minutes. The metal bent and mushroomed against the awesome strength of a $10 pedal. I'm going to take the crankarm off and take it to a good shop in town. Thanks!
At the risk of offending you, are you sure you're turning the wrench the correct way? It seems like a stretch to me that you would bend and mushroom a pedal wrench yet the aluminium threads holding your pedal on the crank didn't strip out. The process you've gone through seems to defy physics.

Ken

·
Registered
248 Posts
all i can recommend is using the proper sized wrench on the pedal, and then busting out a cheater bar for some leverage assistance.

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
heat

I put a propane torch to the spindle end after I put locktite on the treads. That was in 2001. the crank arm is still fine. A little bit at a time. Don't try to melt it.
Yoe are pulling towards the REAR of the bike, right?

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
don't waste time on it

You shouldn't waste time on this pedal. The best solution is to take to the shop and let them deal with it. You spent alot of hours and labor. It is better to have a different person to solve the problem .

·
Registered
350 Posts
my brother had a stuck pedal so we took a 6' pipe over an allen wrench(crank bros. mallet). it squealed and then popped off without much effort.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Success!

Well, I took my own good advice. I gave up!

Took the crank into a quality bikeshop here in Boulder, Vecchio's, and they had the pedal off in less than 5 minutes. They had no luck with the Park Pro pedal wrench but quicly moved to locking the pedal in a vice and voila! PEDAL IS OFF! Thanks to the wrench at Vecchios and everyone for their advice. Now if I can just avoid cross-threading the new pedals...

TIME TO RIDE!! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts