Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the dark side of having recessed stem bolts is rearing its ugly head. One of the bolts was siezed in there - as I turned the hex wrench I heard a creaking noise that I thought was just the bolt breaking free, but it turns out that it was the head stripping. Now if the stem bolts weren't recessed, I know the "dremel a notch to fit a screwdriver" trick, but that won't work here - what the frick can I do?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Try one of the easyout bits.
If that fails, then you will have to drill out the bolt. If it is a 6mm bolt, use a 6mm bit, but watch out as you drill through the bolt head. When you drill into the bolt body,it will snap releasing a ton of tension - the head will go flying fast enough to plant itself in drywall ( or take out an eye ) . take appropriate precautions.

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heatstroke said:
Try one of the easyout bits.
If that fails, then you will have to drill out the bolt. If it is a 6mm bolt, use a 6mm bit, but watch out as you drill through the bolt head. When you drill into the bolt body,it will snap releasing a ton of tension - the head will go flying fast enough to plant itself in drywall ( or take out an eye ) . take appropriate precautions.
Thanks for the response. I tried googling for the easy out bits and only found a place to buy them, not a site with info/instructions. can you clue me in to how they work as opposed to drilling out the head? If I drill out the head, will the threaded shaft still be stuck in the stem? how will I get that out?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
how to use the easyouts

1st you drill a hole withe the bit supplied with the easy out.
Then you thread in the easyout and CAREFULLY unscrew. As you unscrew, the easy out threads itself into the stuck bolt becomming tighter, Either the bolt starts to extract or the easyout breaks. If the Easy out breaks you are most likely SOL since the easyout is hardened steel and there is absolutely no chance of drilling through that.

Thinking about it. This is what I'd do.
1. drill a small hole based on the easyout drill bit diameter (use a small easy out) make syre you do not drill a cockeyed hole.
2. Dont use the easyout yet, but drill out the bolt head with a 6-7mm drillbit. It will snap as the tension unloads and you are left with the threaded section of the bolt with a small hole in it.
3. Tap in the easyout and take the remaining section out.

sodade said:
Thanks for the response. I tried googling for the easy out bits and only found a place to buy them, not a site with info/instructions. can you clue me in to how they work as opposed to drilling out the head? If I drill out the head, will the threaded shaft still be stuck in the stem? how will I get that out?

·
Registered
247 Posts
if you are really really careful, you can use a hacksaw blade... get a new sharp hack saw blade and cut the shaft of the bolt between the face clamp and the stem, but do it by hand, no saw! and be very careful, it is time consuming and painful, but it is safe if you have a steady hand. also, watch out when the bolt head snaps off as mentioned above, it will fly when it unloads all the tension on it. if this is done correctly, you can do it without damage to the stem or bar.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
no such luck I'm afraid

this is a thomson stem, the bolt shaft is not accessable , it is some sort of internal pinch design.

iattackthedarkness said:
if you are really really careful, you can use a hacksaw blade... get a new sharp hack saw blade and cut the shaft of the bolt between the face clamp and the stem, but do it by hand, no saw! and be very careful, it is time consuming and painful, but it is safe if you have a steady hand. also, watch out when the bolt head snaps off as mentioned above, it will fly when it unloads all the tension on it. if this is done correctly, you can do it without damage to the stem or bar.

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Thomson and they said to use a well oiled 7/32 bit and drill the bolt head till it pops off. The way that the stem works with two rounded inserts that squeeze the fork tube, it was easy to get the rest of the bolt out. They sent new bolts free of charge even though the siezeure was my fault - props to them...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Cool!

Put grease or anti seize under the bolt head and on the threads (be careful to keep it out of the clamp area.) If next time the bolts offer the least little resistance tighten the opposite one a bit to take the pressure off.

I tried the easy out method and just wound up drilling out the bolt head with it. I'll add the tip Thomson gave you to my mech's notebook.

Mike

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
sodade said:
I called Thomson and they said to use a well oiled 7/32 bit and drill the bolt head till it pops off. The way that the stem works with two rounded inserts that squeeze the fork tube, it was easy to get the rest of the bolt out. They sent new bolts free of charge even though the siezeure was my fault - props to them...
I had to do the same thing. It worked out fine. Thomson has great customer service. I would highly recommend safety glasses though. That bolt head is under high tension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.