Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Back at it and LOVIN' it!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks -

I could use some help here - I know I know not this crap again right...but I just need to get a few more opinions than the 3 I'm getting that keep my head spinning

So I'm getting back into MTBing and I have decisions that need to be made...most importantly...NEW or USED? - I have my mind set on a NEW Kona Caldera...the $949 MSRP is about my price limit - The idea of getting a new bike over a used one seems to make a lot of sense to me...if something goes wrong a warranty may be there to take care of an issue - Going to buy a used I may get the someone who lies to me about a shotty bottom bracket or soon to be dead brake system or lame fork and it ends up costing another few hundred bucks on top of what I paid then that leads to the nickel and dimeing and in the end I could have bought a whole new bike anyways - My brother and friends are telling me the Caldera is a good bike and yet I get emails from them of these other used bikes that are a "great deal" - I'm trying to be patient and do it right but man I want to get riding

Here are a few bikes in the area that have been brought to my attention...

Salsa ala Carte - http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/734478565.html - I think an '07 with a RS Duke fork...says fits up to 6' but seems big for me at 5'11"?

Yeti Kokopelli - http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/732348796.html - Again I'm 5'11" would this bike be too small?

Kona Caldera(New) - http://www.konaworld.com/08_caldera_w.htm

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks folks!

Nick

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
Hey, creature, don't sweat the questions -- it's why we're all here, and why you're paying us the big bucks for our answers...lol.

First, dump the Yeti -- too small.

The Salsa looks sweet, and little problems could be taken care of with the $199 diff in price from the Kona -- which will be virgin. Steel or alu? Steel is detectably easier on the spine, but can rust at an unnoticed scratch.

If it was ME, I'd be on the Salsa, but then I can fix my own stuff all day long (mech), and I'd have to pop for a susp. post (49-y-o, bad back).

If the warranty idea will get you in the saddle, get the Kona; if you want the best bike for the bucks, get the Salsa. But do it soon -- RIDING SEASON IS HERE! Get out there, dude!!

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
hncreature said:
...I have my mind set on a NEW Kona Caldera...My brother and friends are telling me the Caldera is a good bike and yet I get emails from them of these other used bikes that are a "great deal" - I'm trying to be patient and do it right but man I want to get riding.
Ignore friends. Buy the bike that you like.

Seriously. It sounds like in your heart you've already your decision. It is perfectly fine to decide that you want to buy new, for whatever reason, even if you just like the paint color. Don't let someone sway you into buying a used bike only to spend the next couple of years wishing you'd bought the new one.

Have you test-ridden the Caldera? Does it feel comfortable? That's the most important thing.

·
Back at it and LOVIN' it!
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!!!

Thanks folks! :thumbsup:

Appreciate the suggestions and the positive vibe...too many info specific boards out there that treat the n00b...well like a n00b

Haven't got to ride the Caldera(aluminum) and will have to be ordered - I can only imagine they would let me ride it first - The Salsa is steel and have heard great things about steel and will get to ride that today

I'm feelin' ya on it being the season...I WANT TO RIDE!

Thanks again!!!

:cornut:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.