Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just after a bit of advice with selecting my next tire combo. I'm current running High Roller II 2.4 up front and a Ardent Race 2.2 on the rear. I'm a big fan of the grip the the High roller offers but I don't like it's flat profile and heavy weight.
I bought the Ardent race thinking it was just a newer version of the Ardent but it's extremely scaled down and at speed it is a terrifying.

My thoughts have been to try a Magic Mary 2.35 up front and a Rock Razor 2.35 on the back. I have no experience with either of these tires however. Feedback on rolling resistance would be appreciated as that plays a big part in my tire selection.

Thank you guys

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry mate that would have been helpful. I'm from Australia so it's normally fairly dry hard pack clay. I'm not big on wet weather riding so I'd prefer to pick a tire for 'normal' conditions.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm actually converting to a tubeless setup and am using Schwalbe's. My buddy here in California (where I'm from too), which I'm assuming has similar trail conditions as Austrailia, swears by them. The combo I'll be doing is the Hans Damf 2.35 front & Nobby Nic 2.25 rear. The front compound is Trailstar and the rear compound is Pacestar. We ride technical trail and xc stuff mostly.

·
The White Jeff W
5,693 Posts
I'm actually converting to a tubeless setup and am using Schwalbe's. My buddy here in California (where I'm from too), which I'm assuming has similar trail conditions as Austrailia, swears by them. The combo I'll be doing is the Hans Damf 2.35 front & Nobby Nic 2.25 rear. The front compound is Trailstar and the rear compound is Pacestar. We ride technical trail and xc stuff mostly.
I run that set up on my 29er. Love it

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I ran the HR2 up front as well for a time. It worked OK but not great IMHO. I always thought it had a dead spot when transitioning from the center tread to the edges and it didnt roll well. I like the HR2 in back but it just never felt right in front. The more it wore the worst it felt to me.

I ditched it for a DHF Minion Exo and got a rounder profile, less rolling resistance and a much more balanced cornering tire. Right now I'm running a Schwalbe Fat Albert and its not bad now. I had issue with the first one, they warrantied it and this ones been good. It doesnt roll as smooth as a DHF but its a bit lighter and works well in our fall and winter conditions.

I'm not much help on the rear tire as I usually ride something a bit more chunky. I like to mash instead of spin so the more agressive tires seem help keep me from overpowering the rear tire.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,434 Posts
I wish Maxxis would release a lighter HRII in 2.3. I actually like square profile front tyres, for the loose over hard conditions I mostly encounter - loose sandy soil, pea gravel and rocks over baked clay. 2.3 at around 650g or under would be a great heavy duty XC or trail tyre.

The 2.25 Ardent is OK but it's kind of too round for me and the edging knobs aren't quite man enough to bite through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts