Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 26.1%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will buy SC this week or next. My question is "Which frame?" I love Blur, want to know if I am better off with XC or Superlite? Price is a moderate concern ($2,500 to $3,000). My riding is mostly on dirt trails, few jumps, no tricks, no downhill, no freeriding in the mix. I am an old guy (6'2" 200lbs) out to keep in shape and have some fun. You can vote for your choice and give me the lowdown on the why's and wherefore's.
thanks in advance
chexem

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same.. not old but getting there, I ride XC with a light AM flavor, and I been doing it with a classic blur or almost vintage it´s a 02 model, however this year I will get a new frame, and it will be the superlight, with the advance in shock tecnology the old one pivot design is the way to go for our type of riding.

·
guidedbybicycles
127 Posts
Me too

My '07 SL is on order. Cheaper, works well, less work to keep it running, can run an adjustable travel fork (100mm-125mm) for whatever mood you are in (mine will wear a Marz XC 700SL). Can't wait!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Couldn't wait for the new 2007 SL to be released. For MTB, it's wise to have a replaceable rear derailer hanger. Old SL doesn't.

Sooooo, for Christmas 2006, I got the Blur XC. Great bike. Had to make a mud guard to prevent crud from getting onto the VPP pivots. Works too.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Bucking the trend

Considering your weight I suggest going with a Blur LT. I'm not sure about the new Superlight, but the old design was not recommended for heavier riders. I'm not poking fun at your weight with this suggestion either. I'm 240lbs geared up. I ride a Heckler for my trailbike and also have a Bullit for downhill/freeride type riding. The Blur LT would be one of my first choices if I were looking to replace my Heckler. It's a little burlier with a stiffer chasis. Yeah, it has more pivots than the Superlight but the 2007's come with a lifetime bearing guarantee. Oh, and it also has a replaceable dropout which Superlights of past did not. The 2007 Superlight does have a replaceable dropout though. Find out what the maximum rider weight is for the new Superlight. Santa Cruz will be able to answer this question.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yep, what he said and when you take into consideration the way the Blur LT will pedal, it's an excellent choice. The VPP design is one of the best pedaling bikes ever; excellent choice for OFS riders:D BTW, I'm 60 and I love the way the VPP climbs; it makes a huge difference. The Blur LT is a good choice; but then again, so is the new Heckler.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Agreed...

I also would agree with 67, as the Blur LT is going to give you the option to do more and more each year, and your weight is a bit on the high side for the SL. Not saying you would break it, the SL is a great bike, and I think the weight limit is a CYA thing, but my experiences on the Blur LT make it one of top all around bikes for XC and trail riding, IMHO. It can be built up anywhere from 27-31 pounds and still feel nimble and quick.

SC also has a few completes for the Blur LT as well, for something like $3100 for an X.9 kit complete with fork, etc. A bit outside your price range, but a damned fine bike for the money as well.

One of our employees will be putting his Blur LT up for sale here pretty soon if you are interested. Well maintained, X.9 complete kit and a Zoke AM1 for a fork. A bit pudgy for XC riding at 31 pounds, but a hell of a bike nonetheless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Turtle 1 said:
Yep, what he said and when you take into consideration the way the Blur LT will pedal, it's an excellent choice. The VPP design is one of the best pedaling bikes ever; excellent choice for OFS riders:D BTW, I'm 60 and I love the way the VPP climbs; it makes a huge difference. The Blur LT is a good choice; but then again, so is the new Heckler.
Turtle is right !

I have had a Zaskar to a SL and now I am on a HECK. :thumbsup:
Lets just say this: The heckler is by far the funniest bike to ride of the bunch you r looking at. I give it 5 STARS !! for the down hill and 4 for the uphill factor ! If you are more XC put a RP23 and a 150mm fork on it and you will love it. I just built my heck to 28.3 lbs and its waaaaaay better in rough stuff and at higher speeds. My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you love your blur and dont feel you need more travel, get another one! Put a Talas on it and your set. With the fork at 120/30 it has the same geo #'s as the LT with a little less travel. I honestly think any of the frames mentioned would work for you. If you haven't had any issues with your classic you shoudn't with any of the new frames. Remember the new frames are a little different in sizing then you current bike. XC and SL have longer top tubes LT is close. Cambria has some killer deals on classic blurs. Bottom line is: only you really know what you need, so go with your gut:) You will be stoked with whatever choice YOU make.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.