Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, I lost the rebound knob a while back, so I ordered the replacement. Well, I unscrewed the bolt as normal, popped out no problem. I go to put the new screw in, and the shaft keeps spinning and I cant tighten it up.
(im replacing the screw as when I put the rebound knob on the old screw, its loose. so I would probably be needing a new one within 10 minutes of riding, and I figure I will just replace it anyway since I have it)

Is there anyway to keep that rod from spinning? Ideas?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
why did you unscrew the bolt? the rebound adjuster knob will loosen up no matter new bolt or not, the best thing to do is keep the adjuster knob in your pack after setting rebound. did the bolt screw all the way in before it kept spinning? if so, did you use a torque wrench to tighten the bolt? its not supposed to go to very high torque, only 60 inch pounds, if you try to tighten further after rod bottoms out it may keep spinning . check the torque, if its close to right and ther's no leaking oil it could be fine; because the torque specification for that bolt is all about pulling the rod down into the hole it press-fits into, and since all you did was replace the bolt and the rod is still bottomed out in its hole it might not need to be quite as tight. If its spinning at very low torque, u could need a new rebound damper (that "rod") because its press-fit into the hole at the bottom could be worn? (or even worse, the hole in the bottom of the lowers is worn.) If bolt doesnt screw all the way in first before rod spins, then i dunno..cross threaded or damaged threads? extremely worn interface between rebound damper and fork lower?

wolfman00 said:
hey, I lost the rebound knob a while back, so I ordered the replacement. Well, I unscrewed the bolt as normal, popped out no problem. I go to put the new screw in, and the shaft keeps spinning and I cant tighten it up.
(im replacing the screw as when I put the rebound knob on the old screw, its loose. so I would probably be needing a new one within 10 minutes of riding, and I figure I will just replace it anyway since I have it)

Is there anyway to keep that rod from spinning? Ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts