Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a beginner in the wonderful world of cycling and need YOUR help! I want to purchase a bike, however, am unfamiliar with the logistics. I want the bike for the purpose of exercising right now. I will get into the pro stuff once I am in shape. A friend knows someone with the Royce Union Seismic Pro 24 3783BX 21-Speed for sale. Can anyone give me any inforamtion on this bike? And, what would be the most anyone would pay for it? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
656 Posts
dont know the specific bike but it is guaranteed to weigh too much and the parts are going to break pretty easily.

IMO, i think it best to buy a bike from a bike shop, not a department store. 1st off, at a bike shop the bike will be put together correctly. at dept stores some guy with no experience is probably the one assembling it. i have read that parts are often times put on backwards. *scary thought* 2nd, even a low end bike from a bike shop will be of better quality. sure, you might pay $100 more but it will be worth every penny. 3rd, the bike shop employees are much more knowledgeable about their product than some hack at Walmart. the bike shop guys will make sure you are on the right size frame. and fit is VERY important. i doubt very much that the bike you are looking at comes in any other size than '26" wheels.' you will have a choice of various sized frames at a bike shop, even low end stuff.

having a bike that is put together properly, of good quality and the right fit, will encourage you to ride more, which i think is what you would like. you do not have to spend a fortune but a little more spent on the better bike will pay off in the end.

good luck on getting your new bike. be sure to get a good bike helmet!

Rita :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
The vortex...

bykrchik said:
I am a beginner in the wonderful world of cycling and need YOUR help! I want to purchase a bike, however, am unfamiliar with the logistics. I want the bike for the purpose of exercising right now. I will get into the pro stuff once I am in shape. A friend knows someone with the Royce Union Seismic Pro 24 3783BX 21-Speed for sale. Can anyone give me any inforamtion on this bike? And, what would be the most anyone would pay for it? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
When I started out, I bought a what I thought was a "nice" bike at Costco. Next thing I know I upgraded every component on the thing until it only had the original frame. The learning experience was valuable, but if I had it to do over again, I would have gone to a shop and done it right.

BTW stay away from any department store bike. They use garbage for components and they are going to disappoint you. Shop around some bike shops a bit and get to know some features of the bike that is right for you. If cost is your worry, look around for a while and then when you know what you are looking for, give ebay a shot. I also have found great prices on bikes at online bike shops like supergo, pricepoint, etc... Just make sure you know what size you need and what componentry is right for you.

One thing to consider, if you have no experience working on bikes and you intend on doing a lot of riding, a bike shop will generally offer free tune-ups on the bike for a period of time . That is a valuable service and will make your riding experience better. Nothing sucks more than having a bike you cannot ride (or enjoy riding).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts