Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 Spot came supplied with a 600 x 2.25 spring for the Romic shock. From previous threads I worked out that I needed a 700 spring, so I ordered one from a uk website.

I have just received my 700 x 2.25 spring, and it is too long to fit the shock :( . Why is it too long, is it because the shock is only 2", and therefore the bike came with the wrong spring. Should I send it back and order a 700 x 2.00 spring.

Can you please help me out as to what spring weight and lenth I should get... I weigh ~235lb with kit, is 700 too big??

Thanks John

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
If you can return the spring of a 700# 2.0" spring w/o a fuss it would make your life easier, but it is not uncommon to see some people with a 2.25" spring. Some weights are simply not available in 2.0"

Getting one mounted on the shock is quite another story. Some folks have resorted to rather creative solutions to precompress the spring enough to get the retaining collar on. I recall one person explained they used several extra heavy duty zip ties, while having a hefty friend stand on the spring, and tied a few inner coils together. Be careful! if the ties break or release unexpectedly you can get very very hurt.

Hopefully some folks will chime in on their methods.

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
dude,
I am 90% sure you need a 650 spring, those come in 2.0" lengths. I run a 700x2.25. I weigh 250. 700 springs are good for 240-260lbs. I am pretty sure a 650 is good for 220-240lbs. I don't know about the uk website but, I am positive that romic does not make a 700x2.0". Listen to what zilla said about the zip ties, its a pain in the but. Be careful cause if those zip ties snap..... you'll bee missing some teeth. If you have any 4x4 jeep friends, ask if they have spring compressors, its worth a try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.