Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I managed to beat the hell out of a trek 820 for about a year and a half now, and lately everything has been falling apart on it. As much as I have been trying to remedy the issues with it, it just seems that however i add it mending the bike will cost more then if i buy a new one. Thats why I am posting today I need a replacement for my bike. Preferably this time it will be as tough as nails and hopefully under 500$.
For those of you wondering how the hell I broke this bike I'll give you more or less a reason, Im 5"6' and weigh 230lbs, and ride harder then most people do in a concrete jungle.

TL'DR
Need a bike
Under 500$
Needs to be tough
:p

·
YOU SCRATHED MY BIKE!!!!
240 Posts
TREK 4300 im 5'10 220 and ride i ride hard lol this frame will hold up

also look at jamis, felt, specialized,gary fisher, and giant!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carlos91 said:
TREK 4300 im 5'10 220 and ride i ride hard lol this frame will hold up

also look at jamis, felt, specialized,gary fisher, and giant!
Well the frame is not what im worried about, the steel frame on the trek held out admirably. Im just worried about components falling apart under the tremendous load im going to put on them.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Are you doing urban assault riding, or just using it as transportation?

An old touring bike ought to do a much better job if it's just transportation. If you're jumping off loading docks and stuff, you'll break anything sooner or later.

Also, what's wrong with the 820? Have you been maintaining it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not no urban assault but i do ride on some trails in my stair time, for most of the time i use the bike to get around, i commute daily around 12 miles round trip across pothole ridden streets filled with cars, cabs and people from new jersey :p(i live in brooklyn and commute to manhattan if you haven't guessed by now). i would like something where the components won't give out in about a year of strenuous use. if it can be had under 500$ then perfect, if not 1000$ is my ceiling.

sorry for the rant :p

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I remember commuting in Manhattan. ;D I got an old 10-speed for $160, threw out the parts that broke, and ended up with this.

I moved not too long afterwards, so I can't say if it was durable long-term. But I think that for commuting in that city, less is more. Do you have a safe place to keep it at work?

Another thing you might consider is the Redline Monocog 26, or something similar. No shifters or derailleurs to break, no crappy suspension fork, and it's more than you need to ride Cunningham. $500 really won't give you long-term durability on a geared bike with suspension. Or you could spend $1000 on pretty much any geared hardtail, and be in a little better shape. But it makes the issue of where to keep it even more difficult. A second wheelset with slick tires makes swapping easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well putting the bike away is no problem, my boss thinks that biking is a new fad so he has a spot in the building to put our bikes in. I'm generally lucky for that :p. so right now i feel like its going to be better off upgrading the entire bike i have right now with quality components, feels like that's the best way. Anyone want to reccomend me what to start with :p

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Wdave said:
Anyone want to reccomend me what to start with :p
A new bike. :D

Unless you're willing to make shopping for upgrades your new hobby, whole-bike makeovers are usually more expensive than a complete bike.

What's actually wrong with the 820?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well some of the cogs at the rear end have been filed down to the point that i have to skip that gear. the rear derailur don't work properly no matter how the bike shop tunes it and now its out of warranty.
so i have an option of completely changing out the bike components for more durable ones or buying a new bike

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Sounds like you didn't maintain your drivetrain.

If your freewheel is shot, your chain probably is too. Your chain rings may or may not be okay.

You need a new freewheel and a new chain. Probably about $50 for both.

If your chain rings are bad, you'll experience chainsuck or shifting problems when you replace your chain. If all three are bad, you're probably better off replacing the whole thing. There are much better cranksets than what you have floating around on the 'net for under $90, and individual rings tend to run around $30, although better deals are certainly out there.

If you get all that sorted and the bike starts performing again, think about a rigid fork. A Kona P2 would be nice, but not a ridiculous thing to stick on your bike.

This site has some really great articles on tuning and repair.

http://sheldonbrown.com/

parktool.com is good too, and has pictorial instructions for a lot of common tasks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cleaned the bike and chain and sprokets once a month attacking it with a brush and wd-40 and greased it every time it went back to the bike, i doubt maintenance was the problem.
but this isthe kind of post i was looking for thanks man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts