Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Looking for some help or advice regarding a problem on my mtb.

The bottom bracket on my 2011 /2012 aluminium frame Cube AMS 130 Pro has started creaking.

I believe its replacement is a press fit Shimano SM- BB91-41A .

However I'm lead to believe that the problem is the bearing outer shell is loose where it enters the frame.

I Googled this problem which resulted in many posts from various cycling forums first saying this was a common problem with push fit bearings, would you agree?

That being the case how does one solve this problem?

Several methods of repair are suggested such as, use a suitable Loctite solution to fix the bearing housing in the frame or use thin metal strips possibly a Coke can to take up any play?

Anyone had a similar problem, how did you sort it?

Regards Mick

·
since 4/10/2009
34,885 Posts
First, unless you've done specific diagnostics, you cannot say for certain that the noise you hear is coming from the bottom bracket specifically. It's a possible source, but there are also many other sources that generate noise. Creaks have a terrible tendency to sound like they're coming from something else. They echo/reverberate through the frame.

So before you mess with your bottom bracket, you need to rule out other likely sources of creaks. ESPECIALLY the main culprits of the seat tube/seatpost clamp (dirt in the seatpost or around the clamp will cause creaking), the saddle clamp interface (again, dirt in here will cause creaking), the pedals (clipless interface if you use clipless pedals, as well as any bushings or bearings in the pedals). Do some searches about diagnosing creaks in general and you'll get a laundry list of other things to check that won't cost you any money and might address your problem before you need to mess with the bottom bracket.

Further, if you have a shimano pressfit bb, you're not going to be removing it and reinstalling it. Once you remove one of those, you've most likely destroyed it (nylon cups deform very easily) and should just replace it. Once you buy a fresh one, you can look into using a bearing retaining compound on the new one.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Or you could remove the cranks and clean/grease and reassemble without replacing the actual bearings.

Note: I assume you mean a tranditional press fit BB. If you mean Push fit (that is maybe different than press fit), then disregard what I suggested.

Often, just cleaning the BB sheel and crank arm mating surface will eliminate noise.
Just like cleaning a headset will eliminate creaks.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
If there is still an interference fit, Loctite 609. If the fit is loose, Loctite 635 up to 0.006" or Loctite 638 up to 0.010". There may be others but these are the ones I use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.