Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I am back with another question and I am putting new rotors on here bb7(203) and having a hard time getting the rivets(is that what they are?) off of the hub, pliers didnt work nor small screw drivers. Is there a way to get the things apart without breaking them so I can reuse them to mount the 203's?

for your viewng pleasure!:thumbsup:
 

Attachments

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
They won't come off

I believe what you have there is a Shimano centerlock rotor. You do not remove the rivets, you have to remove the lock ring that holds the whole rotor and spider in place. If you're thinking about replacing them with Avid 203mm rotors, you're SOL. Avid uses ISO mount rotors. You're going to need to buy 203mm centerlock rotors.

I could be wrong on this, but based on the pics you provided, I believe this is the case.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn thats what I was thinking :madman: cause I looked at my friends bike who has that and I noticed it today. what other good companies make hydro brake that are center lock?
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Clarification, please

clvlc4door said:
damn thats what I was thinking :madman: cause I looked at my friends bike who has that and I noticed it today. what other good companies make hydro brake that are center lock?
Your first post said you were replacing the rotor with a bb7 203. Now you're asking who makes a good hydro brake that has center lock. BB7 are not hydro. What do you really need, please? if you clarify the situation we'll be in a better position to help.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Call_me_Clyde said:
Your first post said you were replacing the rotor with a bb7 203. Now you're asking who makes a good hydro brake that has center lock. BB7 are not hydro. What do you really need, please? if you clarify the situation we'll be in a better position to help.

Bob
:lol: well at least i am learning, my bad I was thinking the bb7 were the juicy 7's. I was thinking of ordering the whole kit lever rotor and all this week but was guna make shure they fit first eveything would of worked except that mount and damn I found such a good price on them :cryin: . So now I am back to square one looking for a new hydro kit cause my mech's make my fingers to soar after pulling on them after a long decent. thanks for all the help bud :thumbsup:
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
Centerlock rotors, you need a cassette lockring tool to remove the lockring. Don't get Shimano rotors if you plan on running it with anything other than a Shimano brake. The braking path is much too narrow, it will allow the pads to ride on the arms of the rotors. This will eventually lead to uneven pad wear (among other problems). Get the Centerlock to ISO adapter and run 6 bolt IS rotors. DT Swiss, Problem Solvers, Magura, etc all have one available.
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
Nice to see you contributing so much to the MTBR community. Great to see you venturing away from the bashing, misinformation, and general asskissing of whatever products you're currently riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Those look like Shimano Saint rotors/hubs. If they are, the centrelock is larger diameter than the regular Shimano centrelock. Those Problem Solvers adapters will not fit. I don't know of any centrelock to 6 bolt adapters that will fit the Saint hubs.
 

·
-> SickLines.com <-
Joined
·
3,196 Posts
BlownCivic said:
Those look like Shimano Saint rotors/hubs. If they are, the centrelock is larger diameter than the regular Shimano centrelock. Those Problem Solvers adapters will not fit. I don't know of any centrelock to 6 bolt adapters that will fit the Saint hubs.
Those do not look like saint rotors, and definitely not saint hubs. His hub is Quick release, Saint is 20mm.

Saint hubs:



What brakes are you running? IF shimano brakes, XTR & XT &LX/Hone rotor's come in 203mm w/centerlock.

LX/Hone is what it looks like you have so it'd be best to stick with a shimano rotor if you've still got shimano calipers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Those may not be Saint hubs, but what I'm saying is that Saint centrelock is not the same size as LX/XT/XTR centrelock. Those Problem Solvers adapters fit the LX/XT/XTR centrelock, and will not fit the Saint (and maybe Hone) centrelock.
 

·
-> SickLines.com <-
Joined
·
3,196 Posts
BlownCivic said:
Those may not be Saint hubs, but what I'm saying is that Saint centrelock is not the same size as LX/XT/XTR centrelock. Those Problem Solvers adapters fit the LX/XT/XTR centrelock, and will not fit the Saint (and maybe Hone) centrelock.
That adapter will fit the Hone's, but not the Saint's. You don't have Saint's though.
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
BlownCivic said:
Those may not be Saint hubs, but what I'm saying is that Saint centrelock is not the same size as LX/XT/XTR centrelock. Those Problem Solvers adapters fit the LX/XT/XTR centrelock, and will not fit the Saint (and maybe Hone) centrelock.
You said they were Saint hubs, they are not. Therefore, that information is no longer pertinent (though true). Hone should be regular sized centerlock.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top