Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
GONE
26,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading the crankset on my wife's bike.

It currently has an SR Suntour crankset with a square spline BB. How do I get the cranks off each side and how do I remove the BB? Looks like I need a special tool to get the BB out???

I was able to get the drive side crank off the BB by prying with a screw driver on the crank and hitting it with a mallet simultaniously. The non-drive side isn't cooperating with this method, though...HELP!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Park tools has a "Repair Help" section on their website that is really good to help you learn to work on your own bike. You will need a square taper crank puller(Park Tool CCP-22 or CWP-7) to properly take off the cranks and a bottom bracket tool(probably a Park BBT-22 or BBT-32) to remove the bottom bracket. Here are some links that should help you...

Crank removal

Bottom bracket removal

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:

It currently has an SR Suntour crankset with a square spline BB. How do I get the cranks off each side and how do I remove the BB? Looks like I need a special tool to get the BB out???

I was able to get the drive side crank off the BB by prying with a screw driver on the crank and hitting it with a mallet simultaniously. The non-drive side isn't cooperating with this method, though...HELP!
Get one of these and you can remove the entire BB, shell and all, in seconds.

Best to use the proper tools in the proper manner.

·
GONE
26,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
shiggy said:
Get one of these and you can remove the entire BB, shell and all, in seconds.

Best to use the proper tools in the proper manner.
You can't be serious?!

I might be better off with one of these to resolve this as well as a few other issues I have with some things....

·
GONE
26,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zoke2 said:
"I was able to get the drive side crank off the BB by prying with a screw driver on the crank and hitting it with a mallet"

that is 100% prime sig material right there ...
Since this POS crankset and BB are going straight into the round file, it really doesn't matter how I get it off the frame.

My extreme, incredible, unconventional, clever enginuity knows no bounds...

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:
Since this POS crankset and BB are going straight into the round file, it really doesn't matter how I get it off the frame.

My extreme, incredible, unconventional, clever enginuity knows no bounds...
Yeah, it might not matter how you get the parts off, but when/if you F up the frame and you can't install new parts, then your (as in your words) "extreme, incredible, unconventional, clever enginuity knows no bounds", its a real ego bruiser and you'd wish you either purchased the proper tools or had someone use the proper tools to do it for you.

I've seen too many bikes where someone half a$$ed a part install/removal and got pissed when I told them that there is nothing to be done except to buy a new frame/part.

So do yourself a favor and bookmark/favorite this following website. It will save you time/money/trouble when working on your bike.

www.parktool.com

·
GONE
26,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
frdfandc said:
Yeah, it might not matter how you get the parts off, but when/if you F up the frame and you can't install new parts, then your (as in your words) "extreme, incredible, unconventional, clever enginuity knows no bounds", its a real ego bruiser and you'd wish you either purchased the proper tools or had someone use the proper tools to do it for you.

I've seen too many bikes where someone half a$$ed a part install/removal and got pissed when I told them that there is nothing to be done except to buy a new frame/part.

So do yourself a favor and bookmark/favorite this following website. It will save you time/money/trouble when working on your bike.

www.parktool.com
Did I neglect to mention that I plan to replace the frame also????

Arming the A10 now...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I used a crank puller made for both square and splined cranks the first time I changed some. Not realizing that I needed to remove the larger ends on the tool for square, I pulled the threads out one of the crank arms. Ended up using a hacksaw and dremel cutting tool to get the crank arm off and saved the bb.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:
Did I neglect to mention that I plan to replace the frame also????

Arming the A10 now...
Yes you did. You originally posted and I quote

ambassadorhawg said:
So which one is it. Crank up grade, or bike upgrade. Besides ast mtnbiker72 said, why remove the crank if replacing the frame?

·
GONE
26,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing at a time! I replaced the crankset because it was a POS which bent on a simple tip over fall.

I will get a frame some day when I find one for the right price but that's very low on the priority list.

Anyway, I did enjoy removing the drive side with a mallet and screw driver. I do have the proper Park tools (crank puller and BB remover) I just wanted to see if I could get the whole thing off MY WAY.

So, I ended up getting out the appropriate tools out (unhappily) to finish the removal job. The Shimano LX crankset went on WAAAAY easier than the stupid square taper POS came off. And yes, I also have the appropriate tools to tighten the Shimano (XTR) external BB.

No, I didn't bent or ding or damage anything that matters.

Anyway, as Shiggy says, the last line is the serious part...

Thanks for all your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.