Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering my next build. I am using a Rohloff Speedhub. Would really like a Rohloff specific frame like the Van Dessel Ramble Tamble and its dropouts. Good price too. But it wont' take an Avid BB7 the way the brake mount is situated between the seat and chainstays. Would have to run hydros, like Juicys (?). I like the ease and simplicity of the mechs though.
The other option is a Niner Air9. I could run Avid BB7, but now I would need a Speedbone. Not as clean, and a little more expensive frame.
Any thoughts?

PS I'm 6'2" 175lbs, using the bike for XC racing and riding, off-road triathlons, 24 hour race, and adventure races. I'm pretty easy on equipment, and don't do much crazy downhill, drop-off stuff. Considering a Lefty, love the Thudbuster.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
crepitus said:
Considering my next build. I am using a Rohloff Speedhub. Would really like a Rohloff specific frame like the Van Dessel Ramble Tamble and its dropouts. Good price too. But it wont' take an Avid BB7 the way the brake mount is situated between the seat and chainstays. Would have to run hydros, like Juicys (?). I like the ease and simplicity of the mechs though.
The other option is a Niner Air9. I could run Avid BB7, but now I would need a Speedbone. Not as clean, and a little more expensive frame.
Any thoughts?

PS I'm 6'2" 175lbs, using the bike for XC racing and riding, off-road triathlons, 24 hour race, and adventure races. I'm pretty easy on equipment, and don't do much crazy downhill, drop-off stuff. Considering a Lefty, love the Thudbuster.
You could always run both. Pick the frame that you really prefer, the one that 'grabs' you, and then run whatever brakes that work. BB7 mech front and Juicy 7 rear.. Think laterally... :)

Single brakes can be purchased easily anywhere now days.

R.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Granted, there is a weight penalty. Nobody will argue that. But there is a durability/reliability advantage. For me, that's worth the extra weight. I will never podium in any race (not being negative, just realistic) so if I finish 32nd instead of 30th because of the hub, I'm okay with that. I just love being out there.
Just an anecdote-I was racing against a guy in rainy muddy conditions. He kep mis-shifting, dropping the chain, getting chain suck - whatever drivetrain problem it was. I passed him at least three times as he was stopped to fix the problems. The he would catch and easily pass me. Finally, the last time I came up to him with drivetrain problems, he picked up the bike and threw it down a big hill and walked away. I guess my five pound hub beat him that day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.