Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 2013 Norco Sight B1. Sticker on the fork says RCT3. When I move the blue adjuster there is not 3 distinct positions. 7 small clicks to lock out, my low speed adjuster is silver.

Does this sound right or did it get changed to a RLT damper?

Thanks

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I bought a used 2013 Norco Sight B1. Sticker on the fork says RCT3. When I move the blue adjuster there is not 3 distinct positions. 7 small clicks to lock out, my low speed adjuster is silver.

Does this sound right or did it get changed to a RLT damper?

Thanks
Not sure if it's the RLT, but the RCT3 is supposed to only have 3 clicks on the blue adjuster and the separate low speed adjuster.

Does your silver adjuster say "low speed +" on it? If it were the RLT, it would say "flood-gate" and IIRC those adjusters were gold.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've got the original RL damper on my Sektor plus the RLT and RCT3 dampers. Sounds like from the 7 clicks it'd probably be the RLT. As far as the flood gate knob on the RLT being gold, it is more goldish than the silver one on the RCT3. Not extremely gold looking though. If you had asked me what color it was without looking at it I would have thought it was silver.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
That is definitely the RLT damper, not the RCT3. Looks like the seller of the bike has changed dampers at some stage (maybe he had another Rev that he dropped it into?).
Was it sold to you on the basis of it being a RCT3 equipped fork? If it was, then I'd be contacting the seller to enquire why it was changed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a good deal on the bike so I'm not to worried.

If I had the rct3 it would be in open 95% of the time. But with the rct3 could I adjust the low speed compression in the open setting?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the newbie questions. Coming off fox forks that just had lock out. With the RCT3 damper low speed compression will help with fork dive? On my fox I had to run the pressure a little high so it wouldn't dive. But RCT3 I should be able to set proper sag and the low speed adjuster can stiffen up the initial travel?

Just tryIng to figure out if its worth the upgrade. Still over 2 feet of snow on the groung here. I should just ride it first and see how I like it.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
With the RCT3 damper low speed compression will help with fork dive? On my fox I had to run the pressure a little high so it wouldn't dive. But RCT3 I should be able to set proper sag and the low speed adjuster can stiffen up the initial travel?
That's exactly what it is for. You can do the same thing with the damper you currently have by setting the compression a couple/few clicks in. Try what you have. I can't say that I've noticed much of a difference between the two -- currently have the RCT3 and have owned the one you have when it was called the "blackbox" damper.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just like to tinker with things, which is why I've had the three different dampers. I can't say that any of them are bad at all, I just like learning about suspension setup so I've tried each one. It's been a while since I've been on the original damper that came on my RL, so I don't remember any specifics about what I liked and didn't like. I don't really feel it's much different than the RLT, even though the RLT allows you to set the floodgate. They must have the threshold set decent on the RL damper, because once I got the floodgate set where I liked it on the RLT I don't recall it feeling much different.

The main issue I had with both of those dampers was the ability to find a happy medium between enough support to prevent wallowing and cushioning the bumps. I was usually in the 2-4 clicks out from locked range. 3 clicks out could be supportive with a bit more harshness on the bumps, and 4 could wallow a bit more while feeling smoother. One thing I thought funny about my RLT damper was the fact that 3 clicks out from locked was not the same as putting it in that same position while turning from full open. I could look at it before I installed it and see the orifice size difference. I think there was a bit of play in the assembly on mine. Imagine a flat head screwdriver too small for the screw you're trying to turn; there's space as you change direction. Not sure if all are like that or if mine just has some play in it.

A used RCT3 damper popped up on ebay recently for cheap so I jumped on it. I'm still on the first few rides so still getting a feel for it. I believe I've been more happy with it so far because I haven't thought about it much while riding. I guess I've found a happy medium for now. Which seems to make sense when looking at the damper as it is a needle/orifice for the damping adjustment. I believe this may allow for more fine tuning to get it where you like it? The only time it felt bad to me was when the knob got bumped a hair from threshold towards open. Definitely started wallowing around, although I haven't played with it in the open setting too much yet. Could possibly find that it might firm up enough with the low speed adjuster.

All that being said, personally I'd try the RLT and see how you like it first. You might find that it does what you need it to do for your riding style and your trails. You could always try out an RCT3 at some point. Another option that I might try in the future is Avalanche Downhill Racing's cartridge; they have it available to fit in the Revelation now. I'd assume the Sektor also. I emailed them to see if it'd fit the Sektor and they said to send it in if I'd like to get it looked at. It's an option I might try in the future. Of course it's a pricier option. Let us know what you find out when the snow melts!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts