Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I replaced the cables on my bike with Jagwire; when I did I broke the rear shifter. They were terrible anyway and I've always wanted to upgrade them. Here are the specs for my bike:
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=GT&Model=iDrive+3.0&Type=bike

I did replace the rear derailleur with a Shimano XT a couple of years ago.

I have a couple questions:
1.) Do I have to get shifters specifically for v-brake bikes?

2.) How do I know what type of rear derailleur I have; ie long, medium, rapid-rise, etc.? Do I have to get shifters that are directly compatible w/ the derailleurs?

3.) Just curious if these will work and if there's any reason not to go with the M760 (last year's model): http://www.jensonusa.com/store/prod...eore+Xt+M770+Shift+Lever+Set.aspx?sc=MR08&x=y

4.) Last question, is it worth the extra $ to go with XTRs or SRAM upper-end models?

Thanks a head of time all.;)

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
RuthlessPastor said:
1.) Do I have to get shifters specifically for v-brake bikes?
No. (The only exception would be if you were getting a combined shift / brake control. But, according the specs on your bike, your brake levers and shifters are separate controls.)
2.) How do I know what type of rear derailleur I have; ie long, medium, rapid-rise, etc.? Do I have to get shifters that are directly compatible w/ the derailleurs?
For the purposes of replacing the shifters, the derailleur cage length doesn't matter.

If the derailleur spring pulls the chain towards the inside of the bike (left), then you have a rapid rise (low-normal) derailleur. If it pulls it to the outside (right), then you have a non-rapid-rise (high-normal) derailleur.

The primary point of concern with matching shifters to rear derailleurs is the actuation ratio. The thing to remember is that Shimano shifters will not work with SRAM rear derailleurs. If you have a Shimano derailleur (and you do), it is possible to get SRAM shifters which work with them; you must look for the ones which have a 2:1 activation ratio. Otherwise, stick with Shimano shifters; they work just fine with Shimano derailleurs.
3.) Just curious if these will work and if there's any reason not to go with the M760 (last year's model): http://www.jensonusa.com/store/prod...eore+Xt+M770+Shift+Lever+Set.aspx?sc=MR08&x=y
Looks good to me.
4.) Last question, is it worth the extra $ to go with XTRs or SRAM upper-end models?
You won't be able to use X.0 (or X.anything) SRAM shifters with a Shimano derailleur. With regard to XTR, my opinion is that it's not worth the additional money. Save it for something else...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good answers Kevin. Thanks for taking the time to do so. As of now, my thinking is to go with the M770s from CRC as they would be about $100 shipped; while I'm at it I'll upgrade my brakes to Avid Single Digit 7s. $150 for two major component upgrades isn't too bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.