Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I've been lurking here for a while now and was looking for help picking a bike.

I'm new to mtn biking and this will be my first and only bike. I have a friend at a LBS who is getting me a super deal on a new Gary Fisher HT.

I'm looking at both the Cobia and the Mamba. Both have the same frame and a lot of the same parts. The Cobia has a better Fork and brakes as well as a few others. I also like the color of the Cobia much more.....

Are the parts on the Cobia that much better? Or will I end up upgrading the parts on either bike as I start to progress?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree, you will def be happier in the long run. You like the look, really important at the end of the day and it includes a better fork. Components can always be swapped out in any case but do yourself a favor spend the few extra bucks up front especially when you have a shop ready to deal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
+1 on the Cobia.

I have an 08 Cobia. The Tora fork, though on the low end for air suspension forks, beats the snot out of a Dart 3 spring suspended fork.

I have 1500 miles on that frame. As I wore components out, I replaced them. Found deals on diffferent parts like a Fox F29 and an XT crankset. Now Im riding the bike right at 24 lbs as an SS convert. Love the geometry, the bike fits me well. I even raced it locally with the stock components and continue to race it locally as an SS.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cobia

A wise man once told me that you will never regret getting the better of the two bikes.

i have found this to be exceedingly true in my bike buying history.

The air fork alone is worth upgrade and to answer your question, yes you will end up upgrading parts but you "probably" won't upgrade the fork because to get a better one you are going to drop 400-500 bones

make the power move here and go for the cobia

·
Registered
760 Posts
+1 Cobia. Better front fork and color scheme worth it IMHO. The Cobia is a great bike for 1 large and change. Can strip the components if you want, sell them and build it better than the Paragon for underneath the Paragon price point....same frame sans color scheme.

I am building up a 2010 Paragon with Fox G2 fork right now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
+1 Cobia!

I am waiting to take ownership of my '10 Cobia by the end of this week. The LBS had the stock version for $899 but I had to do a few upgrades. :D I upgraded the F/R der. and shifters to SRAM x.9 series and went for Elixir R brakes 185/160 and a few others items taking the out the door price to around $1400.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I went with the mamba knowing my upgrades were coming soon. If you plan to keep it stock for the most part for a while, go for the cobia - if it's going to be an upgrade a bunch of stuff bike, go for the mamba. I also agree the '10 the cobia color is sweet.

Here's my upgraded '09 mamba:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
murtaghstyle said:
I went with the mamba knowing my upgrades were coming soon. If you plan to keep it stock for the most part for a while, go for the cobia - if it's going to be an upgrade a bunch of stuff bike, go for the mamba. I also agree the '10 the cobia color is sweet.

Here's my upgraded '09 mamba:

That's a nice fork!

Well, I think I'm going to order the Cobia next week. Then starts the 2 weeks of waiting for them to get it.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
love2surf said:
That's a nice fork!

Well, I think I'm going to order the Cobia next week. Then starts the 2 weeks of waiting for them to get it.....
nice upgrade....what is the travel of your fork...coz the stock is 80mm i have same GF Mamba it is ok to put more the 80mm coz i am the only one here in bahrain using 29er & i am happy for it...this i my first 29er....

ride safe

·
Registered
84 Posts
Jim Nasium said:
I'm in the same boat as the original poster, except I don't like the '10 Cobia's color scheme. The dark blue almost looks purple to me.

I'm gonna try to get the LBS to come down on the asking price for an '09 X-Cal.

What does anyone think is reasonable for an '09 X-Cal?
My guess Is you can swing an 09 x cal for about 1350 maybe 1300. I would buy the whole kit up front if you can by getting, pedals, shoes, new helmet, tubeless set up etc. Shops are always more willing to negotiate on price when the amount bought increases.

·
Banned
1,333 Posts
Here in the Northeast we have a Bikeline. Here are the closeout price's on bikes they have. Now in 2 weeks(MARCH 15TH) they have their Yearly sale ON MOUNTAIN BIKES and Fisher's will be 15% off these(SALE) prices, At Least!! So your looking at $1,250 here, yOU MIGHT EVEN GET 20% OFF SALE PRICES, it depends on the individual bike. And with this economy, I am sure if you paid cash you might luck out and find one for $1,100... --Especially at Fisher Dealers in Philly--Bigger cities usually have Bigger deals...

http://bikeline.com/articles/mountain-closeouts-pg58.htm

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Jim Nasium said:
I'm in the same boat as the original poster, except I don't like the '10 Cobia's color scheme. The dark blue almost looks purple to me.

I'm gonna try to get the LBS to come down on the asking price for an '09 X-Cal.

What does anyone think is reasonable for an '09 X-Cal?
$1239 at a lbs in the chicago area.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, they are the same frame. The only difference between the two is the X-Cal has a better fork, and shifters. If you are doing a parking lot test ride, you probably will not be able to tell much difference between the two. But, from what I've heard the noticeable difference is when you get off road and the Fox is nicer than the Tora. I have a '10 Cobia and love it! The Tora fork is more than enough for what I ride on for commuting to and from work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
DezFX said:
Yes, they are the same frame. The only difference between the two is the X-Cal has a better fork, and shifters. If you are doing a parking lot test ride, you probably will not be able to tell much difference between the two. But, from what I've heard the noticeable difference is when you get off road and the Fox is nicer than the Tora. I have a '10 Cobia and love it! The Tora fork is more than enough for what I ride on for commuting to and from work.
and it has hydraulic brakes. Some people are critical of the juicy 3's on the bike I however love their feel and power. Almost every part on the X-cal is an upgrade from the cobia. The stem and bars are oversized on an xcal and a step up on the bontrager range. the crank is hollowtech and octalink bottom bracket vs square taper on the cobia. The wheelset on the cobia is narrower.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.