Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I can't get the forums search working with either browser or operating system I use. I'm looking for threads and help on getting used to flat pedals. We're talking breaking a since teenage 30 year+ habit of clips.

I am pretty good about getting out of my cleats fast, but the play I'm trying with my new bike (STP) is different and I find myself in places where I'll fall farther or on pavement, so I really think I need to break the habit.

My issue is fighting gravity. I'm used pulling the bike up with the clips/cleats, and more importantly knowing my feet will be with pedals. I use Mallets on my trail bike, but really like the flats on my STP for playing slow motion and for getting out of a wheelie gone bad etc.... The Mallets can clip in at times so they're fine for a rock garden on a trail ride, but not for getting caught with one foot attached to bike and one one pavement while everything is still moving!

So, is there any trick beyond trying to make sure my chocolate foot is either forward or down (3 and 6 O'clock etc...)??? With my cleats and even tele skis I at least know something will be under me when I land....

Thanks for any help. I'm gray haired kid in a candy store with this, and of course contradicting telling my own kids to me careful.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Just like when you had to learn to get used to clips, you need to get used to flats. When DJ-ing and the like, flats are the only way to go. You're just going to have to know that the pedals are going to be there. Even when you put your foot down and the pedal may not be perfectly parallel to your foot, when you bring it down, you'll be o.k.

I'm the reverse. I've been using flats for years, and I'm trying to get used to clipless.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.