Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of Panaracer Rampage tires for my rigid Qball (with a Salsa fork). I normally ride WTB Nanoraptors and love them as I commute, ride to the trails, and link some up on the pavement. But I thought I'd try something new.

I went to mount the rear tire and there's some serious rubbing on the chain stay. I took it off and now have a brand new pair of these tires.

Any ideas? Gracias.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Us them as front tires. they perform better as front tires anyway.

The Qball has tight tire clearance in back if I recall.

I ran a Nanoraptor rear/Panaracer Rampage combo a lot last year on one of my bikes and it was a kickass combo!

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MMcG said:
Us them as front tires. they perform better as front tires anyway.

The Qball has tight tire clearance in back if I recall.

I ran a Nanoraptor rear/Panaracer Rampage combo a lot last year on one of my bikes and it was a kickass combo!
Really? That's an interesting combo I wouldn't have thought of.

How's the Rampage on non-trail situations?

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I don't know about non trail situations, but IMO it is a slow rolling rear tire, but up front it provides nice grip and bite on the trail, not to mention soaking up some of the bumps from roots and rocks.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MMcG said:
I don't know about non trail situations, but IMO it is a slow rolling rear tire, but up front it provides nice grip and bite on the trail, not to mention soaking up some of the bumps from roots and rocks.
I appreciate the help.

I've heard it's a bit slow, of course, only after I bought it. D'oh.

I wish I could just trade 'em.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Rampages are not a commute tire, but are one of the grippiest off road 29 tires available. If you ever ride in loose rocky conditions, you don't want to trade them.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fred-da-trog said:
Rampages are not a commute tire, but are one of the grippiest off road 29 tires available. If you ever ride in loose rocky conditions, you don't want to trade them.
The trails I ride have some loose, rocky sections, but it's just a serious trade-off and/or more tire swapping than I'd like to do. And I can't say I can't ride without 'em.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Pabs said:
The trails I ride have some loose, rocky sections, but it's just a serious trade-off and/or more tire swapping than I'd like to do. And I can't say I can't ride without 'em.
Hey Pabs,
These are the best tires for the front range IMO and I've ridden many. I don't notice these being any slower than my light racy Karmas or SB8s. They definitely are awesome when the trail gets tough. I commute 6.5 miles to work with my Karmas or these when I'm too lazy to swap them out for the road tires. Compared to the road tires I only lose maybe 2 minutes and don't lose any time versus the Karmas. Last week, I actually ran over a fat chick who tried to cross Colfax without looking and then *****ed me out about "why do you f-ing people have to ride here". these babies didn't even pinch flat when all other tires would've.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kosayno said:
Hey Pabs,
These are the best tires for the front range IMO and I've ridden many. I don't notice these being any slower than my light racy Karmas or SB8s. They definitely are awesome when the trail gets tough. I commute 6.5 miles to work with my Karmas or these when I'm too lazy to swap them out for the road tires. Compared to the road tires I only lose maybe 2 minutes and don't lose any time versus the Karmas. Last week, I actually ran over a fat chick who tried to cross Colfax without looking and then *****ed me out about "why do you f-ing people have to ride here". these babies didn't even pinch flat when all other tires would've.
What would you recomend in the rear? :p I've hear lots of different things.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
riderx said:
Kenda Karma 2.2's work well for dirt/pavement commuting.
I've heard that and they sound similar to my fav Nanoraptors. I wish I had boughten them.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Pabs said:
What would you recomend in the rear? :p I've hear lots of different things.
I use the Rampages f & r. Like I mentioned before, compared to my Karma 1.8", I really can't tell any difference in rolling resistence. As far as overall performance, the Karmas don't even come close at all.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Really? I've got a set of Rampages and after only a week I had to take them off. They ran so much slower than my previous Geax Saguaros (which in turn are a good cog slower than my 2.4 Racing Ralphs).

The Rampages are a great meaty tire if that's what you're looking for though.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
There's a huge difference in the rolling resistance between the Rampage 2.35 and the Karma 1.9, it's like night and day. Of course the performance is going to be different, you are talking about a skinny tire with a low tread profile and a fat tire with big aggressive knobs.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fritZman said:
Really? I've got a set of Rampages and after only a week I had to take them off.
So, you don't want to buy them? :skep: :D

·
dtheo
232 Posts
rolling resistance

There's a huge difference in the rolling resistance of these tires. Maybe its not as huge when they are both pumped up to 60 psi on the pavement, but put them on the dirt and you must be kidding if you can't tell.
The rampage is slow rolling and not all that grippy in the rear. It's super solid in the front over rough, rocky stuff though.

kosayno said:
I use the Rampages f & r. Like I mentioned before, compared to my Karma 1.8", I really can't tell any difference in rolling resistence. As far as overall performance, the Karmas don't even come close at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.