Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sure I have seen something on paint schemes on here but I can't find it. I am making my 8 year old build her own bike and we are trying to pick a metallic blue graphite color scheme. Any photo's or directions to photo's would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
Like this?

BTW, your name is somewhat ironic when paired with the misspelling in the title in your second post...or does it really hurt?;)

"Help! Piant Ideas

I am sure I have seen something on paint schemes on here but I can't find it. I am making my 8 year old build her own bike and we are trying to pick a metallic blue graphite color scheme. Any photo's or directions to photo's would be greatly appreciated. Thank you "

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry *Paint*
There is a fine line between doing something awesome and being stupid, so yes stupid hurts. I don't know if they still do but screen names used to have character limits so sometimes you have to use your imagination kind of like my license plate that used to say ASOTKTL, Let me know if I need to spell it out for you;)

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,004 Posts
Please fix the mis spelled piant to paint in your title. Then sir I shall respond with some paint ideas. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harsh would have been making her sand the whole frame down, but I did it for her.

She has a good bike now but she wants gears. She will get a new bike for her birthday in July but I want her to have to work for it. If she is willing to put the time into restoring an old bike she will learn about the mechanics of it. I also think she will appreciate the bike more.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am sorry if I was offensive. I thought it was humorous; "making her" suggests using force against her, while "helping her" or "guiding her" would suggest parenting.

There are folks that think "building a bike" means assembling a bike, while others think the phrase is too ambiguous, and could refer to framebuilding as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I apologize, I should have said restoring a bike. I guess in my world
(auto/heavy equipment) building means assembling a group of chosen components whereas assembling would mean opening a box and bolting on the wheels and handlebars. She will not be fabricating, machining, forging or welding anything. There is no force to complete this project. Whenever she starts whining about how hard it is I tell her she doesn't have to do it, but she also knows this is her only way to a better bike. I am there for support and GUIDANCE AFTER she has made honest attempts.
I have found that when I help my kids, they disappear and I am left with the project they wanted to do. Whether I "make them" or "guide them" my children will have a sense of responsibility, respect for, and pride in the things they do. I have not seen many cases where people that have everything given to them or done for them have as much respect or pride as people that have had to work for it.

I was simply looking for paint schemes to show her, so she could get an idea of what she liked. So far the only help I have gotten is a link to a Google search for girls bikes(thank you for the thought but I figured that one out before I created the post).

·
Registered
467 Posts
I imagine you know your kids well enough to know when "tough love" is the best option. One of my kids is a sensitive soul that responds well to a hand on her shoulder, the other one needs to screw stuff up and then ask for help digging back out of the hole she created...if you say "watch out", she'll take offense.

But the real truth is, I thought I was being funny, talking to another cyclist who was bored and stirring the pot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts