Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Iv been riding for only a year now. I live by laguna seca and love falling down the beautiful monterey hills. Iv only had a gt that I bought in 2005. I moved and sold it. I went to the bike shop for a new one and they said gt sucks now, buy a khs. He recomended the dj200. Iv gone riding and it doesnt feel like the gt. Is it even the right bike for that? whats the difference between downhill and dirtjumping? Why is the back tire smaller and smoother? hope one of you real bikers can help me out, I think I got ripped.

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
Dirt jump bikes are smaller and have less suspension, they are also less slack and have lower bb's. You need to be able to flick around a dj bike where a downhill bike needs a lot of suspension to soak up all of the bumps and drops at high speeds. It is also more slack since you are almost always oriented down hill. Does that help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this forum rocks, i was warned about that bike shop. they told me that the small tire in the back was better for turns. yeah im a rookie:) could i get another frame and put the components on it?

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
midcal said:
this forum rocks, i was warned about that bike shop. they told me that the small tire in the back was better for turns. yeah im a rookie:) could i get another frame and put the components on it?
The smaller tire in the rear helps lower rolling resistance, it's a pretty common practice as you don't want your rear tire to float over stuff as much as you want it to bite down.

Yes you can always get another frame and swap components. What type of riding are you wanting to do? What budget do you have, how much do you weigh? Do you plan on doing drops and jumps?

Give us as much info on you and your riding as you can and we'll be able to help you out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only plan to do xc and a little downhill. im not into anything to gravity defying. i really liked the gt though ill try to find one on craigslist and swap components. so its ok to have the 24in back tire? thanks by the way

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.