Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing some new tires and wondering what are some ideas on what I might like.
I know this has been asked on here before, but I did a search and nothing helped me in what I was looking for.

I started out on some Michelin Hot S 2.1 tires and liked them very much, but the sidewalls were a little weak and I put a gash in the side in no time.

I then put a pair of the new version Hot S replacements, they are the Xtreme somthing with a dual compound tread. I liked these even more and the lasted much longer. But, looking at my tires it seem that I am ripping the treads right off. So it is time for new ones.

I have some Tioga XC Team 1.9 (or something like that) on my FS bike. I would not like them on my SS bike. They might be different if they were the larger version.

I am looking for some good all around tread. I ride on hard pack, rocky trials, and some mud. I do not want real large, deep knobs like the Tioga and I would like to stay 2.1 to 2.4.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
The next tires I'm going to try are the big fat Ritchey motovaders. I really like the mutano race 2.4 I run now. Velociraptors are pretty burly, but heavy. Bigger is better. And the Mutanos are fast rolling and light.

-M

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are those based on the fact that I have tore up the other tires? Those seem to be more of the freeride strength. I also assume that you look at those more for rigid?

I currently ride a front shock, not much of one, but something. I do have the fork, but not sure about it with my wrists. I have enough problems with the current shock.

Do you have any experience with the Kharisma II or the Maxxis Larsen TT??

The Cortez looks good. I could not look at the Ritchey's because the site was down.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Freeride strength? Not really. I always suggest the Conti ProTection because the casings are stronger with very little weight gain. Tread on your terrain and other comments. Size is a range - your choice.

Larsen tread designs: I remember reading an interview where Steve said "I only have myself to blame if if the tire don't work." (He designed them) During my first rides on both the TT and the Mimo I said "Steve, it's your fault!"

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tire Selection...

Ditto on the Cortez model. The Larsen TT is ok, but tends to loose traction when pushing it on anything but groomed hardpack. The Minion DH's that obione runs handled nicely when i rode his rig. You gotta decide what matters more, weight or handling and durability. Mutanoraptors are easily folded on fast corners, while the Minion DH's in the 2.35 handle great. Try a harder model of compound such as the 60a over the 40/slow reezay. The Ignitor seems to be their answer to the Continental/Hutchinson crowd. Give those a try, the best of two worlds.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Right now I'm on a TT in the back and it's fine until I stand up and pedal hard. I was always happy with the Minion at 2.35", good choice, I think I'm going to get some today after work. I rode with the Hansventure for a while and that tire was great for the mix of riding that I do on my SSpeed (XC, FR and Urban/Trials), but now that the ground will start getting wet, the Minion's the way to go.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
You offered up some sparse info...

But a good all-round xc tire is an IRC 2.1 Serrac. Not the largest volume tire but big enough for xc and light trail riding. It has a really nice, versatile tread pattern. There will be better conditions specific tires but if you'll be seeing a mix of terrain, mud, rocks, hardpack, then these are nice tires. They roll fast on hardpack, yet are good in the mud and loose stuff. Best of all they can be found on sale for next to nothing. Read the reviews on this tire. If I had to pick only one SS tire, this would likely be it.

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
wolfy said:
The next tires I'm going to try are the big fat Ritchey motovaders. I really like the mutano race 2.4 I run now. Velociraptors are pretty burly, but heavy. Bigger is better. And the Mutanos are fast rolling and light.

-M
Hey Wolfy, How does the Mutano hook up on the rear. I run on on the front and love it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the sparce info, but I do not change tires for conditions. I like tires that I can just ride no matter where I am going. I ride several different types of trails as do I ride all year.

I was wrong about the tires that I have. They are the Mountain Xtreme and they are 2.2
So, I think I would like to keep it to 2.2 as a minimum.

These worked great weather it was 20 degree in the snow or 90 and hard pack. The only problem is it seems the treads are a little weak. I am literally ripping them off the tire. They look great until you look close and see that some are almost ripped off.

Does anyone have any experience with the IRC Trail Bear 2.3?? I found them for a good price and they didn't look too bad.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try these

The Conti Protections are a good choice but narrow, a 2.3 is the same as some other 2.1s. Panaracer Cinder 2.25 and Kenda Blue Groove 2.1(a wide 2.1) might work for you, both fairly light too. I'm testing a Weirwolf 2.3 now but I wish WTB would make a Exiwolf 2.3 in a 26" size for us non 29ers out here.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Wtb

gatman said:
Sorry for the sparce info, but I do not change tires for conditions. I like tires that I can just ride no matter where I am going. I ride several different types of trails as do I ride all year.

I was wrong about the tires that I have. They are the Mountain Xtreme and they are 2.2
So, I think I would like to keep it to 2.2 as a minimum.

These worked great weather it was 20 degree in the snow or 90 and hard pack. The only problem is it seems the treads are a little weak. I am literally ripping them off the tire. They look great until you look close and see that some are almost ripped off.

Does anyone have any experience with the IRC Trail Bear 2.3?? I found them for a good price and they didn't look too bad.
I'm a big fan of WTB tires. I don't remember if I have the mutanoraptors or the velocoraptors. They're 2.4. If I remember correctly, they come in 2 styles, a FR type version and an XC model. I'm using the XCs. They have a fairly decent sidewall and while they're not fantastic at any one thing, I find them good to great (pretty scientific, huh?) at almost everything.

A long time ago on trails far, far away I used to ride the green Michellins. I liked them a lot but I had the same frustrations with them that you did: Prone to tearing and ripping knobs off.

Ken

·
1,146 Posts
It does REALLY well! I was surprised because the tread is so shallow. But I run it with pretty low air pressure and it hooks up. I'm running it on an SS that's a tad too small for me, so hook up is important. I ride a wide variety of terrain. It does well on loose dust, slick mud, hardpack, roots, ETC. They suck on icy frost though. If you ride a lot of ice and/or crusty glazed snow or lubricated glass, or anyother vitreus surface, I can't recomment them.

-M

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a couple of friends that absolutely love the 2.4 Mutanoraptors and another couple of friends that love the Weirwolfs. I've never run the Mutanos but I did have excellent experience with a 2.1 Weirwolf as a front tire. It hooked up great, rolled fast, and wore for a long time. As for the Trailbears, I have a couple of other friends who are strong riders and SSer's who swear by that tire and run them all of the time but I haven't ridden them personally.

I've been running 2.25 Geax Sturdy's on my rigid SS and have loved those tires for quite a while as they are grippy, high volume, seldom get pinchflats, and because they wear like iron. I've had these on my SS for a year and they've still got quite a bit of tread on them. The only complaint I've ever had about them is that they don't fit as tightly on the bead as I'd like and they will slowly rotate on the rim over time to where they'd occasionally rip out the valvestem on the tube. Every so often on the front tire I have to let the air out and rotate the tire back to where the valve stem is straight. Don't know if it is the tire/rim combo or what though as I've talked to others who've never experienced this problem. For tonight's ride I switched a 2.35 Nevegal off my geared bike onto it to see how it does on there. The 2.35 Nevegal hooks up like crazy on my geared bike, where it's being run front and back, and allows me to climb up steep technical climbs that I wasn't able to clean on the previous tires but they are much more slow rolling than the others and will be switching those out in the spring once things dry out and I'm racing again.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nevegal

the 2.1 Nevegal Stick-E seems to roll much faster for me, yet still hooks up like crazy. Its a nice middle of the road between rolling resistance and traction. Seems to work everywhere but sticky mud too, grips wet roots nicely. The MutanoRaptor isn't even close to the same grip on the back. I run the 2.1 Nevegal rear and a 2.5 Weirwolf on the front, works great in many conditions.

Burkeman said:
I have a couple of friends that absolutely love the 2.4 Mutanoraptors and another couple of friends that love the Weirwolfs. I've never run the Mutanos but I did have excellent experience with a 2.1 Weirwolf as a front tire. It hooked up great, rolled fast, and wore for a long time. As for the Trailbears, I have a couple of other friends who are strong riders and SSer's who swear by that tire and run them all of the time but I haven't ridden them personally.

I've been running 2.25 Geax Sturdy's on my rigid SS and have loved those tires for quite a while as they are grippy, high volume, seldom get pinchflats, and because they wear like iron. I've had these on my SS for a year and they've still got quite a bit of tread on them. The only complaint I've ever had about them is that they don't fit as tightly on the bead as I'd like and they will slowly rotate on the rim over time to where they'd occasionally rip out the valvestem on the tube. Every so often on the front tire I have to let the air out and rotate the tire back to where the valve stem is straight. Don't know if it is the tire/rim combo or what though as I've talked to others who've never experienced this problem. For tonight's ride I switched a 2.35 Nevegal off my geared bike onto it to see how it does on there. The 2.35 Nevegal hooks up like crazy on my geared bike, where it's being run front and back, and allows me to climb up steep technical climbs that I wasn't able to clean on the previous tires but they are much more slow rolling than the others and will be switching those out in the spring once things dry out and I'm racing again.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Burkeman said:
As for the Trailbears, I have a couple of other friends who are strong riders and SSer's who swear by that tire and run them all of the time but I haven't ridden them personally.
That is interesting. In the Tire thread, it seems that no one liked them.

I just saw that there is a Richey Z-max in a 2.35
Has anyone used these?? I used to love the z-max in a 1.9, but that was several years ago.

I would not mind the smoke if it came in a bigger tire too.

I guess it is hard to please everyone. Seems most of the tires I have liked over the years do not come in anything bigger than 2.1. At one time I would have thought that was big enough.

·
Registered
212 Posts
wolfy said:

-M
wolfy,
youre gonna have to post after you give the ritchey motovaders a try, these are tires I have been curious about.

·
1,146 Posts
Don't hold your breath. I have two MTN bikes and the trails are snowed over. So If I need new tires by this time next year I'll be surprised.

But then they always have a set hanging @ REI... (that look HUfreakingUGE)

-M

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.