Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm upgrading my bike system,

The last part I need is the Fork which will match my 210 lbs, I dont do hard core riding and this fork is 3.2 lbs which amaze my eyes...will this one fit for me ?

Which would you get since I saw this good deal from JENSONUSA.com that has a good deal, I have until 3pm today to decide my fork..

Manitou Skareb Elite from JENSONUSA. Hope I get good replies soon...

or should I go this way ..

cheaper price but 4.2 lbs,

Manitou Axel Elite Suspension Fork for 149 bucks at Nashbar.com which I can get a discount number to make it lower ..?

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Definetely the Skareb over the Axel. Both use the same size stantions, but the Skareb has a much better dampining system. If you only do cross country riding with no drops more than 12-18 inches, the Skareb is great. I am running one on my hardtail and weigh 225. It is not quite as stiff as the fox on my FS bike but it is not a flexy fork by any means. As others have said, the Black may be a better choice depending on how your rider and you will need the firm spring kit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am leading toward that one...and I might keep the old one as my spare on to drop hard on that one. this one will be more of road and little riding on the dirt ....think that will be a good investment but Im afraid of the bobbling, I like stiff ones taht wont bobble as much everytime I ride....

I think I will go that direction unless you can find me a $160 total with 3.8 lbs or less with that price ..

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Jenson Skarebs...

The one I received last week was an SPV model, which has an air spring -- you probably wouldnt need to get a spring kit.

I'm still playing with the tuning, but so far its been a mixed bag. The fork doesnt feel as responsive on the small stuff as my old SID, and it still bobs a bit during out of the saddle climbing. I can live with the bob, but I hope the fork softens up as I ride it more.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
FYI, all Skarebs are an air/coil hybred. They coil is used to control the last inch or so of traveling and prevent bottoming. It needs to be changed if you are less than 150 pounds or more than 180 pounds.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
World B. Free said:
The one I received last week was an SPV model, which has an air spring -- you probably wouldnt need to get a spring kit.

I'm still playing with the tuning, but so far its been a mixed bag. The fork doesnt feel as responsive on the small stuff as my old SID, and it still bobs a bit during out of the saddle climbing. I can live with the bob, but I hope the fork softens up as I ride it more.
Check your oil level in the SPV chamber. Measure from the top of the crown down to the oil in the chamber and compare with spec listed in the service manual. This measurement is critical for proper fork function but my Minute was shipped with too much from the factory.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Purchase at 3:45pm The WINNER is...

ITS DONE ...

I made a decison to buy that fork for 219 at jenson, Its a very good price and i will have to add the coil inside if I didnt get the SPV model which Some are getting it ...

Its a gamble, If I dont like it, I will just ebay it later on and get more stuff ...isnt life great ! I just hope this wont crack on me later on since my 210 frame ..but I dont heave on it much as before...

Thanks for your respond, this is a best feedback forum I have been into....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.