Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically trying to figure out the year of this bike I picked up yesterday. It is a mid-90's Specialized S-Works M2. Bikepedia only has info on this bike from '97-'98, but I'm pretty sure it's not from either of those years. Anyone know when they started making these?

It looks like a some of the parts have been swapped from stock - not sure on the wheelset(shimano acera hubs, mavic 238 rims) or cranks(sugino). Any info on the bike or parts would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That appears to be the case with this one. Found the serial # stamped on the inside of the left rear dropout - first two digits "93". Thanks First Flight!

Anyone have any info on that Avitar Earth Series bar? I didn't really turn up anything on that.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input so far, folks. RickD - you'll be glad to hear the rear derailleur has been removed and banished to the parts bin(or maybe it should go to the trash can?). The bike is stripped down, so this process can begin. Probably going to start looking for someone to do the paint, though I may build it up and ride it a bit before doing so.

Thanks for the comment, Richieb. That's more of what I need. You see, I know like next to nothing about vintage mtbs. Most of the parts are going to be swapped out from the get-go and probably all of them will be replaced in the future - I'm probably going to run the current wheelset, brakeset, headset, and front derailleur. So, now I am on the lookout for a suitable rear derailleur, crank, shifters, seatpost, saddle, stem, bar, and brake levers. If anyone has any suggestions on good parts for this bike, I'm all ears. Also, suggestions on places to look for said parts other than here and Ebay, would be great.

Thankfully, this bike was picked up super cheap, so I have plenty of funds to dump into it...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You may not want to repaint unless the painter has experiences with metal matrix aluminum - I hear Specialized had hard time with stock paint too. Most of these frames I saw had paint peeled off; badly. Yours looks like it is still ok to be touched-up. I'd say keep the original paint unless you just can't stand Ned color bike.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Did the big S offer that as a frame only in 93? Here is my guess on the history. It looks like it was purchased frame only (maybe on clearance a year or so later) and built up with XT and what the original owner thought were cool parts. It was then stolen and some tweeker replaced the wheels with the Acera/Mavic 238's and then thrashed the rear derailer in a fit of tweeker brilliance. Unable to get the bike working, he sold it. The new owner put the newer Deore derailer on it, but never rode it. Some time passed and you now have it. Did M2's come with forks with eyelets?

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Work in Progress...

It came together well. This is not the final build, so some things will be changed out over time - I mainly wanted to get it rideable again(and it rides great...:) ). Next on the list will probably be a decent wheelset for it - if anyone has any suggestions on a suitable wheelset, I'd love to hear em.

Photos of the current build....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.