Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have any experience with 3 piece cranks, can someone tell me how to get this chainwheel off. Ive got the crank arm off, now what!

Attachments

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
hard to see in the dark pic, and I'm not familiar with that gt spindle... but you should just pull it off. That appears to just be a "top-hat" adapter spacer that should come off with the sprocket.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesnt want to just pop off. i dont really want to whack at it with a hammer because i dont want to damage anything besides the chainwheel. any idears?

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
mrbray101 said:
It doesnt want to just pop off. i dont really want to whack at it with a hammer because i dont want to damage anything besides the chainwheel. any idears?
how did you get the arm off, did you use a crank puller that screws into the end? just bolt the crank arm back to the sprocket, then try removing them together... if not, I really don't know what to recommend other than elbow grease and time/frustration, haha... good luck!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The arm had a pinch bolt, and a regular bolt into the spindle. . After taking those two out, there is another bolt (the one that is connected to the sprocket). Ill try putting that back in and pulling them both off. thanks anyways, ill get it eventually!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sooo i beat the #$%^ out of the chainwheel, bent it around with vice grips, pulled, pryed, yada yada yada. If I hold the crank arm on the opposite side, i can spin the chainwheel freely. Its loose but does not want to come off. Now I have a bent up sprocket on my bike I can ride. When I get a chance I will post a better lit pic and see if anyone has any suggestions. Maybe I need to just take a hammer to it again, I just didnt want to render the BB useless. Thanks for any input.

I was however succesful in putting the new grips and new brake cable on though!!

-ODI longneck grips
-odyssey linear slic cable

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
Can you try pulling the spindle out that side? Maybe taking the other (non drive) side apart will allow it to slide out with the chainring. It almost looks like there's a flange on the outside of the spindle, and the chainring will only come off the other way.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
sittingduck said:
Can you try pulling the spindle out that side? Maybe taking the other (non drive) side apart will allow it to slide out with the chainring. It almost looks like there's a flange on the outside of the spindle, and the chainring will only come off the other way.
yeah good point. I would take the whole thing apart, you shouldn't be beating on anything in your bottom bracket. If you just take off the other arm, then you should be able to remove the spindle the opposite way from the ring, then beat on it on a table or at least get a better look at it and not risk tweaking your bearings or cups.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the help, ive been really busy this week so i really havent had a lot of spare time to work with it. Anyways here are some pics, just let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks again!

I tried pushing it out after taking the other arm off, it seems like it doesnt want to do that...

I found on GT's website, the bottom bracket is a "ball type bottom bracket" if that helps at all.

Attachments

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
mrbray101 said:
Thanks for all the help, ive been really busy this week so i really havent had a lot of spare time to work with it. Anyways here are some pics, just let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks again!

I tried pushing it out after taking the other arm off, it seems like it doesnt want to do that...

I found on GT's website, the bottom bracket is a "ball type bottom bracket" if that helps at all.
oh wow... ok...
that isn't like a traditional bmx 3pc crankset like profiles, etc., at all! no floating spindle or preloaded bearings... that bb is closer to one for a 1pc bmx crankset it looks like! so... hmm... see, sittingduck and I assumed from external looks that it was a real 3pc style bmx crank, (which I'm sure was GT's aim with that one), so we were recommending that if you took the other arm off, you should be able to slide the spindle all the way out of the bearings very easily, but now with a better look, it is not that design at all. It is a loose ball bb, and the spindle is probably fixed in there unless you take apart the whole thing, which at this point, you may have to even though it's a huge pain!
I really have no clue about that sprocket now. It may be permanently attached to the spindle. but, then again, you said you could spin it.

Honestly, you may be able to figure this all out and find a solution, and I'm sure you don't want to drop anymore money than required (nobody does), but I'd highly recommend just dropping the money and go for a real 3pc bmx crankset and bb. It will be so much easier and pain free, not to mention last much longer than that loose ball bb!!!! you'll be able to mount up a regular sprocket too. With that spindle you have right now, with that little flange on it, I'm not too sure if you could even use a regular bmx sprocket... ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I probably will just get a new crank and bb...

what would be some nice ones to look at, not cheapos but not the top of the line.

Also, how would I even take this BB out??

I guess I need a spanner type wrench with the two pins to hold the lockring or whatever that is and spin the nut on the non drive side.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
mrbray101 said:
Well, I probably will just get a new crank and bb...

what would be some nice ones to look at, not cheapos but not the top of the line.

Also, how would I even take this BB out??

I guess I need a spanner type wrench with the two pins to hold the lockring or whatever that is and spin the nut on the non drive side.
FSA Nasty Boy's
Wethepeople Royal
Stolen
Demolition Medial

the last two will need bb's purchased separatetly, but they aren't that much, and those last two also have optional ti spindles available for another $40 or so (cheap considering after market is close to $100 separately.

Check out Albesdotcom
or look on ebay for some used profiles or some primo powerbite or hollowbite.

as for removal of that stupid bb, I couldn't tell you without looking closer at it, but maybe someone here knows off hand if they've worked on that bike... I'm putting money down that it won't be easy unless you have the proper tools... getting at the other side of that bb behind the sprocket is going to be interesting... :skep: does the spindle spin separate of that bb? Maybe if you can some how hold the spindle separate so it doesn't spin as a unit, you can then unthread that nut looking part with a wrench, then disassemble from there... but I don't know... give it a try and let us know!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright man...thanks for all the help.

I think Ill look for a new crank either way. I think that I need a spanner wrench thing, with the two pins, then i "should" be able to get this thing off.

Well Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
It's just like I said, the sprocket goes on from the non-drive side. Get a big cresent or open end wrench and take that sucker apart. Once you get the lock nut and bearing race off of the non drive side, the spindle will pop right out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, sitting duck you are right, I got it off. My new sprocket (29t profile imperial) wont even fit on the spindle so Ill just look into getting another one.

Will any 3 piece crank with bottom bracket fit into the BB shell or does it have to be a specific type like American, Euro, etc...

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
mrbray101 said:
Yep, sitting duck you are right, I got it off. My new sprocket (29t profile imperial) wont even fit on the spindle so Ill just look into getting another one.

Will any 3 piece crank with bottom bracket fit into the BB shell or does it have to be a specific type like American, Euro, etc...
Nice! you got it apart.

well, you will have to get the proper bb. If the bb shell on your the frame is threaded, you need a euro.
But, just from your pictures above, it looks like you have an "American" bb shell. It's the largest diameter of all of them, and uses separate press in cups, which the bearings are then pressed into.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, by the looks of it, its a press in so I guess thats American. I'll see what I can find, and post pics when I am done with everything. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
pretty sure its just stuck on there....i think i tried taking it off cuz at the time i just wanted to turn it around the the gay pic wasnt going to be showing.....but after a lot of hassle i just kept it on there.....and yes....just spend the money...you will be way happier...anything it going to be better.....and if yours is anything i like mine was be care with the bearings, they are in a cage but if theres no grease like with mine, they are prob thrashed and will go everywhere. if i get a chance to look my my old one(its at my girls house and i spend much time there) i will try and check it out for you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
warsaw1776 said:
pretty sure its just stuck on there....i think i tried taking it off cuz at the time i just wanted to turn it around the the gay pic wasnt going to be showing.....but after a lot of hassle i just kept it on there.....and yes....just spend the money...you will be way happier...anything it going to be better.....and if yours is anything i like mine was be care with the bearings, they are in a cage but if theres no grease like with mine, they are prob thrashed and will go everywhere. if i get a chance to look my my old one(its at my girls house and i spend much time there) i will try and check it out for you.
Thanks man, I ended up getting it off. Ive got a new 3 piece crank on order now and it should be here in a few days. my bikes only an 06 so it still had some grease left in there. But, that BB was so weird, it looked more like the old 1 piece cranks they but on cruisers and older bmx stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts