Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum so I guess it's appropriate to introduce myself. I live in Malta and been riding for over a year. I own a Giant SCR model and a Giant XTC hardtail. I have recently purchased a Giant Trance frame and will be shifting the XTC components onto the full suspension frame. My idea is to turn the XTC to a light version.
Reading through some of the posts here, I managed to get some ideas and eventually already purchased a number of components and items.
My concern lie on the crank and cassette. I was thinking of going for XTR. My question for you guys is would I'd be better off if I were to find a lighter cassette than the XTR, maybe a road version? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
THanks a mil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. Will stick to the XTR then.
So far I've purchased KCNC brakes, bar and seat post and a selle italia seat. I have a Reba fork on my current XTC model, but am thinking of going for the lighter SID version now. The Reba never gave me any trouble, just the weight difference is considerable.
Do any of you guys have any other reccomandations or any different point of view.
ALan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for your suggestions. As you can imagine I'm not that technical & your help is greatly appreciated.
The current hardtail model has XT shifters, Juicy disk brakes, raceface crank, reba shok and alexrims with michelin XC tyres. I have to ditch even the rims as due to changing for v brakes now.
So for I have purhcased the handlebar, post, seat and KCNC brakes and levers. My original idea was using the SID fork, the Mavic crossmax along with maxxis max lite tyres and also XTR as regards to changer.
I will now switch to the Dura ace as regards to the cassette. Should any of you guys have any other suggestions, please fire away. I would be grateful.
thanks
 

·
You know my steez...
Joined
·
903 Posts
Padre said:
Can't wait for the Sram powerdome cassette to makes it's way to mtb.
Great idea! The RED cassette is heat-treated steel and comes in an 11-26. Depending on your riding style, you could probably use that on your Mtn. bike. They are expensive ... I think retail is over $220 but I've seen them on eBay for $180ish.
 

·
himom!
Joined
·
684 Posts
aerobic said:
Thank you guys for your suggestions. As you can imagine I'm not that technical & your help is greatly appreciated.
The current hardtail model has XT shifters, Juicy disk brakes, raceface crank, reba shok and alexrims with michelin XC tyres. I have to ditch even the rims as due to changing for v brakes now.
So for I have purhcased the handlebar, post, seat and KCNC brakes and levers. My original idea was using the SID fork, the Mavic crossmax along with maxxis max lite tyres and also XTR as regards to changer.
I will now switch to the Dura ace as regards to the cassette. Should any of you guys have any other suggestions, please fire away. I would be grateful.
thanks
What RaceFace crank? It sounds like you are well on your way to a nice light bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The current Race Face crank is a RACE XC, which came out with the bike. The whole weight issue came up when I've recently put togethert a Giant SCR carbon frame, with a hybird look. It's got a truvativ crank, mavic rims, 105s and all remaining carbon parts. It's pretty light, making it fast to sprint and easy on the hills.
Still my passion is the trail and not the road. I've bought the Trance frame in order to have a good excuse to spend money on lightening the hardtail. Only thing is that I'm not that technical and the problem here in my country is that one has to be careful where to go shop for upgrades.
 

·
himom!
Joined
·
684 Posts
aerobic said:
The current Race Face crank is a RACE XC, which came out with the bike. The whole weight issue came up when I've recently put togethert a Giant SCR carbon frame, with a hybird look. It's got a truvativ crank, mavic rims, 105s and all remaining carbon parts. It's pretty light, making it fast to sprint and easy on the hills.
Still my passion is the trail and not the road. I've bought the Trance frame in order to have a good excuse to spend money on lightening the hardtail. Only thing is that I'm not that technical and the problem here in my country is that one has to be careful where to go shop for upgrades.
The Race XC is a mid-level crank. It sounds like you are willing to drop a bit of coin on this bike, so I'd suggest upgrading to the new XTR crankset. You'll save about another 1/2 pound.

Here it is: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15143
 

·
fella
Joined
·
272 Posts
BunnV said:
Great idea! The RED cassette is heat-treated steel and comes in an 11-26. Depending on your riding style, you could probably use that on your Mtn. bike. They are expensive ... I think retail is over $220 but I've seen them on eBay for $180ish.
And it is 10-speed. Last time I checked, MTB components are still 9(and lower)-speed, luckily.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top