Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i want o build a teeter like some of the people on here i have a bunch of 8 foot 2by4's how tall should i make the fulcrum(pivot point) when using two 8 foot 2by4's side by side.

ok and what other stuff could i build with wood tht would be fun?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
ScAvEnGeR said:
ok i want o build a teeter like some of the people on here i have a bunch of 8 foot 2by4's how tall should i make the fulcrum(pivot point) when using two 8 foot 2by4's side by side.

ok and what other stuff could i build with wood tht would be fun?
hight is personal prefernce.... id say 4 feet offf the ground. just cuz its 8 foot long boards. u could go to 6 feet.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well do the math. The maximum angle you can ride up comfortably is say 45 degrees. Assuming 45 degrees then solve for x to get the height of the pivot.

(1/2 your board length)^2 = x^2 + x^2 (Pythagorian Theorem)
4^2 = 2x^2
16 = 2x^2
8 = x^2
x = square root of 8, which is like 2.8 ft. or 2 ft 9ish.

So if you go 2.8ft you'll be riding up a 45 degree slope which sounds a bit steep to me still. I'd go 2 feet which gives you an angle around 35 degrees.

Easy way: to find the angle you'll be riding up type in to your calculator 'sin('height of pivot' divided by '1/2 your board length')' to get the angle so in this case it's 'sin(2/4)' which I'm guessing is around 35 degrees but I don't have a calculator with me so I can't say specifically what it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.