Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

Brand new Specialized SJ Expert FSR 07 and this is my first experience with Juicy's. The rear feels great. The front is mushy and I can actually ride it though when pulling on the lever. What do you all suggest? Air in the line? Not broken in?

Your input is welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I am thinking. However they have very few miles on them that is why I posted. Not sure if it just needed break in. The back feels tight and right.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of your input. I plan to do just that. I want to watch as well, that way I can do it myself next time. I just hope it isn't on my dime this time. I did just pick the bike up 3weeks ago and have yet to any real saddle time on it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
well, i have had a little bit of a mushy feel in my new front 7. There are a few reasons for this. Avid uses DOT fluid, which naturally absorbs air, causing tiny little bubbles in the line, making a mushy feel. Your pads might be a little worn down, rotors not clean... The bottom line is rebleed them.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
DOT fluid does not absorb air, it absorbs moisture from the air. It is hydrophillic/hygroscopic.

With the Avid bleed kit, you can degas the fluid before bleeding.

Worn pads typically do not make for a mushy lever. The pistons are supposed to be able to self adjust, but sometimes the pads just get too thin, and the pistons can't push out enough. This will just result in a lever that pulls really far.

In cars, brakes with brand new pads feel mushy until you bed them in. You really don't feel that so much with bike brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.