Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres what's happening.
As you already know, Tacubaya is going to the US in about 3 weeks. He offered to a bike for me too, since he was planning in buying a roof rack. However, he is not buying one now, and his father does not want to take 2 bikes on a trunk rack, therefore there is a possibility he might not be able to bring my bike.
I really dont know anything about roof racks. I dont know if they are easy to take of or if they stay on there for ever or what. My question is: do any of you guys have a roof rack which you could lend to Tacubaya just so he can bring the bikes? I know its a big favour, but I'm just exploring all the possibilities. You know how it feels....I want my bike dammit! :D :incazzato:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
545cu4ch said:
Heres what's happening.
As you already know, Tacubaya is going to the US in about 3 weeks. He offered to a bike for me too, since he was planning in buying a roof rack. However, he is not buying one now, and his father does not want to take 2 bikes on a trunk rack, therefore there is a possibility he might not be able to bring my bike.
I really dont know anything about roof racks. I dont know if they are easy to take of or if they stay on there for ever or what. My question is: do any of you guys have a roof rack which you could lend to Tacubaya just so he can bring the bikes? I know its a big favour, but I'm just exploring all the possibilities. You know how it feels....I want my bike dammit! :D :incazzato:
Roof racks are "easily" set and remove (it can be done in 1 hour of your time). The problem here is that different cars use different base plates. It is not like a honda will accept a rack from a VW. If it is only a matter of the riels, well that would be very simple and a matter of 5 minutes.

That been said, you would need a rack from car similar to Tacu´s (or at least that uses the same base plates) OR... you would need to buy the base plates for Tacu´s cars and then use the bars and riels from the loner. Anyways I think that one is kinda difficult. IMHO, Your best shot is to find someone flying there (USA) and offer him to pay the extra luggage fee (somewhere between the 80 and 130 bucks).

or... on the top of my mind.... flip a coin with rzozaya to see which one of you is our guinea pig with the Mercado libre guy and his 90 bucks:thumbsup: :D ... j/k, hope you can sort it out.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
ritopc said:
...or... on the top of my mind.... flip a coin with rzozaya to see which one of you is our guinea pig with the Mercado libre guy and his 90 bucks:thumbsup: :D ... j/k, hope you can sort it out.
Lol.....
I'm going to try Madaleno method, which is a shop in Lilas. Probably more expensive than the 90 bucks, but probably safer.

Anyway, I'll update if I buy the Banshee Viento frame :)...

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
It's Plaza Lilas in Bosque de las Lomas. I think it's where Mada brought his Revelation...
Why you guys kept the secret for yourselves? :nono:
Are they fair?
I guess Mada told me something about a flat rate of 30% over the price of the item or something alike.

Am I too far off?

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Warp said:
Why you guys kept the secret for yourselves? :nono:
Are they fair?
I guess Mada told me something about a flat rate of 30% over the price of the item or something alike.

Am I too far off?
Nope, pretty much it :)

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
arivas said:
Astra or Corsa I can help, otherwise... Well, hope you can find a solution!
Thanks. Unfortunately, it would not fit in Tacubayas car. :mad: Hey, what about a trunk rack? Anyone of you got one of those trunk racks with clamps?

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
545cu4ch said:
Thanks. Unfortunately, it would not fit in Tacubayas car. :mad: Hey, what about a trunk rack? Anyone of you got one of those trunk racks with clamps?
545.. I have one that's nice, but I'm out of the country until july 7th, if you can pick it up latter I can lend it...

Edit: anyway he can also bring a frame? j/k

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Hahahahahaha I'm sorry rzozaya but if 2 bikes are a big deal, imagine a third!

I can bring components if anyone needs.

Oh btw, Marco, this are the stores i'll be visiting for sure:

+ Drop Zone Cycling in San Antonio
+ Blue Bike Lab in Houston
+ Cyclone Cycles in Houston
+ Bike Barn in Houston

I think the pedals you want are Wellgo WAM-D10, which are listed in Pricepoint for $44.98. You could ship them to my hotel or to any of the stores above.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
tacubaya said:

+ Bike Barn in Houston

I think the pedals you want are Wellgo WAM-D10, which are listed in Pricepoint for $44.98. You could ship them to my hotel or to any of the stores above.
Hey, do you still want the rack? I can get it ready after july 8th

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
tacubaya said:

+ Bike Barn in Houston

My impression is:

Better products, most interesting store : Drop Zone Cycling:thumbsup: jeezz .243, DMR, Azonic, Surly, Banshee, Brooklin, MC, Redline, Salsa wooowww:eekster: . The drawback: on the expensive side, sounds like a boutique shop. And I doubt they have a huge stock, If you are after an especific bike you´ll probably need to give them a call beforehand.

The other stores look like regular bike shops and probably they handle a larger stock. I am sure you´ll find something there at competitive prices. And by regular, i don´t mean bad, just mass marketed bikes (nothing wrong with that, I have two of them :D:

Good luck on the hunt!!! You most be pretty excited by now

When are you traveling? I might ask you for some dangerboys levers

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
ritopc said:
My impression is:

Better products, most interesting store : Drop Zone Cycling:thumbsup: jeezz .243, DMR, Azonic, Surly, Banshee, Brooklin, MC, Redline, Salsa wooowww:eekster: . The drawback: on the expensive side, sounds like a boutique shop. And I doubt they have a huge stock, If you are after an especific bike you´ll probably need to give them a call beforehand.

The other stores look like regular bike shops and probably they handle a larger stock. I am sure you´ll find something there at competitive prices. And by regular, i don´t mean bad, just mass marketed bikes (nothing wrong with that, I have two of them :D:

Good luck on the hunt!!! You most be pretty excited by now

When are you traveling? I might ask you for some dangerboys levers
Rzozaya: Yes please, I would still want the rack :)

Ritopc: I'm going on 3 weeks aprox. Sunday 16 or Sunday 23.

I'm buying on Drop Zone Cycling just the FF helmet and maybe some protection (I have already asked the owner to save me some Azonics, Fox and Giros)

In Blue Bike Lab I have asked the owner to save me a Ironhorse Yakuza Chimpira 17".

The other stores I'll visit are just to see If I find a better deal or something nice to buy.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Warp said:
Great choice!!!

Your hands must be sweating bullets for riding the thing.

You really deserve a good bike :thumbsup:
Thanks Warp.

Its been confirmed that I'll be going Sunday 23... :mad: bummer I wanted to race that day with the Chimpira on Amanzalocos....

Damn it, one month more....... :mad:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tacubaya said:
Thanks Warp.

Its been confirmed that I'll be going Sunday 23... :mad: bummer I wanted to race that day with the Chimpira on Amanzalocos....

Damn it, one month more....... :mad:
Is it the 2005 or a 2006?

The specs look better on the '05... and you may be getting it for cheaper.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
tacubaya said:
Ritopc: I'm going on 3 weeks aprox. Sunday 16 or Sunday 23.
Great i´ll let you know

tacubaya said:
I'm buying on Drop Zone Cycling just the FF helmet and maybe some protection (I have already asked the owner to save me some Azonics, Fox and Giros).
For protection, get some Race Face´s (AKA Roach), they are just great, I have tryied out 661´s, Fox´s, and MEC´s (canadian outdoor equipment´s supplier) and the Roach are way better in terms of comfortability.

For the FF helmet, I would go either Azonic or Bell, best bang for the buck.

tacubaya said:
In Blue Bike Lab I have asked the owner to save me a Ironhorse Yakuza Chimpira 17".
As Warp said, excellent chioce!!!! wouldn´t a 15" a better choice. For my height a 17" is as larger as I would go. Maybe you´d be better off with a smaller frame if you intent to do some FR and DJ. Give it a thought, or better yet, try both sizes

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Well the 2005 and 2006 are almost the same except the 2005 has a 120mm suntour fork and hayes mx2 brakes while 2006 has a spinner ammo 2 150mm and tekro IO (yuck). I'll try both of them out as well as the 15" version.

I wish I had enough for the Bakuto :(

On december I'll toss a Pike or Z1 and in about a year i'll buy a new frame. I have in mind a Evil Imperial or Kona Stinky i'll see as the year goes by, too much time left!

If I work like a ***** (as they say here, no pun intended) I could get a Versus Trigger, but its more like a dream..... :(

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
tacubaya said:
If I work like a ***** (as they say here, no pun intended) I could get a Versus Trigger, but its more like a dream..... :(
what about the Blitz?, it is very well regarded.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts