Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of purchasing a leftover 2006 Element 50 from my local dealer. In the past I have ridden 19" bikes and the Element is available in both 18" and 19" sizes. They have the 18" in stock and can order the 19" from their second store. The 18" rides fine but I'm not sure if the 19" would be better since that's what I'm used to. Do you folks have any recommendations on bike size for a 5'10.5" tall male with a 32.5" inseam?
Thanks in advance for your help...

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
A 2006 19" Element has a 595mm (23.4") top tube, and the 18" has a 580mm (22.8") top tube. If you still have access to your old 19" bike, measure the top tube and see which one it's closer to. That'll tell you which one will require less futzing about with stem length and seatpost layback.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am just a hair taller than you with the same inseam. After trying both sizes many times, I went with the '07 Element 70 in an 18". I like the feel of the shorter bike and would recommend the same, but go with whichever feels good to you. Elements are awesome bikes. Enjoy!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think for your height either size is gonna be fine. The deciding factor will be which feels best to you. If it were me I'd shoot for the 18, but you may like a longer TT. The Element is defintiely a nice ride though, so good luck with your purchase and make sure we see some pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!
I worked out a deal with the lbs and they are going to bring in the 19" from the other store for me to try. So, I will get to ride the 18" and 19" back to back so as to hopefully make a better decision. I'm leaning towards the 18" and your suggestions help confirm that thought. Once I make the decision, I'll be sure to let you know...
Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another advantage to the 18" is a shorter wheelbase. Maybe a little twitchier on the DH, (or faster handling depending on your skills and perception) but much easier climbiing, easier to manual and generally throw around.

Az

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.