Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
I like bikes
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 05 Enduro frame and am having trouble getting the front derailleur to work properly. I am using a 2005 XT integrated crankset, with a 22-38-Bashring combo. The bashring is an e.thirteen 40 tooth supercharger.

This setup worked great on my Giant VT, and I was using a 2003 LX front derailleur.

For the Enduro, I bought a 2005 XT derailleur, and the chain rubs on the bottom of the cage when in the smallest gear in front. It does this for all the gears in the back. I installed my old LX derailleur from the Giant and it doesn’t rub in the 3 lowest gears in the back, but it still rubs otherwise. I cannot lower it any more, or else it will rub on the bashring. Again, i did not have this problem with my Giant VT.

When sitting on the bike, the chain still rubs in the higher (smaller) gears.

It seems to me that the derailleur post has a steeper angle than normal, causing the bottom of the cage to be higher than desired. Is there a special front derailleur that Specialized recommends with the Enduro to prevent rubbing on the bottom of the cage?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am running a cheapy Deore universal top-swing on my '05 Enduro S-Works and I am also running a 22-36 with a DRS and XT 2-piece cranks (very similar to your setup). FWIW I am also runnning an 11-34 cassette so having the smallest and largest possible rear cog size shouldn't matter either. The only minor issue I have is that the universal cable guide that allows the Deore to be either top or bottom-pull hits the chainstay yoke a little but the derailluer functions perfectly.

How did you setup the DRS and XT BB? I seem to recall that I used one BB spacer on the d-side and then I spaced out the DRS back plate with one washer per hole. I also had to grind the DRS lower guide quite a bit but it works perfect. In fact the E.13 guys took a bunch of pics of it at the SOC for reference.

I have had to spend more time setting up 2-ring guide front derailluers than a -ring setup because you can't use the transparent sticker to align the cage with the big ring and also there are other adjustments that need to be made to a 2-ring setup.

Maybe if you post some detail pics we can help you out better.

EDIT: I just checked my bike and I get a slight rub when in 11-22 but that's it and of course I never use that gear combo in the real world so it's irrelevant. My der. cage barely clears the basher in the 36t setting. I'd suggest going down to a 36t and duplicate my setup since it's been proven to work if nothing else. I'm thinking that the extra few mm's lower der. position to accomodate the 36t will also provide just enough clearance for the small ring/chain to not rub.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.