Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just picked up a new set of bolts/bearings/bushings for my 04 coiler frame. I plan to sell the frame, but first I need help with something.
I took all the linkages off, and removed the dark grey axle which sits just on top of the bb shell. The axle came out with a little gentle persuasion, then I took out the plastic washer and the metal bushing. Next were the bearings - they won't come out. There are two bearings on each side of the frame and they've been pressed in, and I can't fathom a way to remove them.
The old bearings are still rolling smoothly, but I just spent $$$ on a new set and I would prefer if I could get them in.
Advice on removing them would be really great :thumbsup:

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you possible can, you want to press old bearings out and especially new bearings in making certain the mandrel only comes in contact with the outer casing portion of the bearing. This will eliminate the chance of destroying or damaging the bearing balls or roller and their contact surfaces. Likely you don't have a press but a good bike shop should. I would start there and if you can't locate one that will help try a machine shop or good auto maintanance garage. I have installed bearings using a home made mandrel from aluminum or plastic and gently tapping in to seat it with a mallet. Again you have to be sure you don't put pressure on the inner race. Your Kona dealer might be the best place to start.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the info, but I'm still stuck about getting the old ones out of the frame :madman:
For a mandril I was thinking about aa bolt with many large washers and tightening it all up. Either that or just a pile of washers and a rubber mallet to press them down.
Cheers

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success!!!

Finally I removed the 4 races which sat in the frame. Turns out I thought the bearings were sitting in two bores either side of the frame, and in the middle of them was a rib which was part of the frame. I was wrong - there is no rib, its a bushing, so all I had to do wwas force the whole lot through one side of the frame. I was trying to pull out each a bearing but gave up in about 2 mins :rolleyes: .I found a spark plug socket which has the same diameter as the outer bearing rings so it was ideal for forcing it all out of the frame.
I'll use that to install the new ones too.

Problem solved: Cheers

·
Registered
454 Posts
Good to hear you got it sorted out. I've used a socket when I was in a pinch. I usually try to use something softer but again, in a pinch... Just be careful the bearing goes in STRAIGHT! Good luck. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts