Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have built up an agressive hardtail trail bike. After building it up and starting to use it I found out that my riding buddies have a hard time keeping up with me. I am one of the stongest riders in our group.
Until then, I was one of the slowest guys in the group, but I always thought it's the rider not the bike. So, I thought my fitness has improved.
2 days ago, same ride, same group, I came with the 5 spot. Again , I had a really hard time keeping up. Dramatically.
SO... I figure something is wrong with my setup.
Maybe the bike is too heavy ? What changes do I need to perform to make the Spot a faster ride, but still maintain it's technical ability ?
setup is :
5 Spot frame with H/L.
Pike race (coil) fork
DHX - Air shock
Sun rhyno lite rims with Hope bulb hubs
WTB Timberwolf 2.3 tires.
XT/ XTR drivetrain
I think these are the parts that could make a differance. Any suggestions ?
Thanks
PM.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
sounds to me like a shock setup issue. yer parts are damn good. the only thing is those rynos are big time wide and put a ton of rubber on the trail. the more rubber, the more drag. can ya swap the wheels and give it another go? other than that, try some fork and rear damper tricks. post yer particulars and someone is bound to help ya out.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
If you weigh 180#, your hard tail weighs 26, and your Spot weighs 31, then you are a measley 2.4% heavier with the Spot. Unless you guys are at your anaerobic thresholds and climbing a lot, I cannot see how this would make a huge difference. In fact, a fully suspended bike will cover rough ground more efficiently than a hard tail would, because it is having to accelerate a lot less unsprung mass upwards over every bump. There could be a significant psychological factor at work here too though, and that may be very difficult to account for or overcome.

Agree with CC- extra work comes from rolling resistance more than overall bike weight. See if you can swap the wheels between the two bikes, or at least the tires.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Tires?

PizzaMan said:
Recently I have built up an agressive hardtail trail bike. After building it up and starting to use it I found out that my riding buddies have a hard time keeping up with me. I am one of the stongest riders in our group.
Until then, I was one of the slowest guys in the group, but I always thought it's the rider not the bike. So, I thought my fitness has improved.
2 days ago, same ride, same group, I came with the 5 spot. Again , I had a really hard time keeping up. Dramatically.
Maybe the bike is too heavy ? What changes do I need to perform to make the Spot a faster ride, but still maintain it's technical ability ?
setup is :
5 Spot frame with H/L.
Pike race (coil) fork
DHX - Air shock
XT/ XTR drivetrain
Thanks
PM.
WTB Timberwolf 2.3 tires are slow rolling tires! I bet that is the reason for your slow tail :)

By the way, HTs are faster on smooth terrain all things equal. You don't see many full suspended road bikes.

Jaybo

·
SASQUATCH!
138 Posts
Also keep in mind that a full suspension bike generally greatly rewards a smoother pedaling technique. Standing up and hammering with a lot of upper body movement and bobbing doesn't work as well as it might on a hardtail. Depends on your style.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Shock set up and Tires

PizzaMan said:
setup is :
5 Spot frame with H/L.
Pike race (coil) fork
DHX - Air shock
XT/ XTR drivetrain
Thanks
PM.
Here is the what I think your rpoblem is:

If you want your spot set up to go fast you need to get a pushed RP3 shock and Nobby Nic 2.25 tires.

The DHX - air set up was not intended to be fast. More of a free ride, technical, down hill shock.

I agree with both Cactus and tscheesy, those sun rims are wider that my mama's ass.

On the mean while, check the pressure on your dhx. You may be geting dropped on the climbs because of squating. Set your sag at 15-20% if you want to go fast and do not care about small bump compliance.

The cheapest way to resolve your issue is to get an RP3 canister and put it on your dhx. Also get some racing ralphs or nobby nics or kenda nevegals - a bit slower but better rolling than what you got. Also you may want to try a different set up like a setback seatpost for more power to the crank and may be a bit longer stem for the climbs. You can always change your set up depending on what you want to do and/or who you are ridding with.

My spot is faster than my race hardtail. Climbs a ton faster and decends are 2x faster.

Another tip is practice, practice, practice. All mountain riding is different than hardtail riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.