Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure whats going on with this fork. I have switched out tons of forks without any issues but I can't figure this one out. Its like the steer tube is actually tapered out as you get to the crown. I can only get the fork about 75% of the way into the headtube. :madman:

Anyone run into this before? Maybe I just need to change out the bearings on the bottom of the headset but wanted to check to see anyone else had this issue before.

Thanks

BB

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Only just saw your post. I've owned several Nixons including a 2006 Nixon Super and never had/seen anything like you describe. Have you checked the steerer with a caliper? It should be the same diameter except for where the race is pressed on. If it is indeed not the steerer then you may have a problem with your headset bottom bearing.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What brand frame and headset? There have been a few frame manufacturers that don't machine the headtubes properly ( not reamed post welding) and with certain headsets this causes the headset skirt to hit the taper in the steerer tube.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
SingleTrackHound said:
Own 06 Nixon TPC+ and no such issue as you are describing. Only slightly wider in the region where crown race is pressed in just above the fork crown.
Same for me. bdbriggs, are you sure you didn't forget to install the race at the bottom of the tube before trying to slide it in the headtube of your frame? Ho, you say only 75% of the steer tube goes in??? Wow that really doesn't make any sense. I've switched numerous forks and never seen anything like this. There must be something wrong either with your particular Nixon steer tube or with your headset cup.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well its official, took it into my LBS to see if they could install it andd the steer tube at the base is 1 millimeter wider than at the top. Can't get the steer tube all the way into the frame.

And for the record I have an 04 Chameleon that has had a Nixon Elite on it before.

Oh well, going to try and see how good the Manitou CS actually is, since this seems to be a manufacturers error.:nono:

wish me luck.

BB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.