Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'll be replacing the drivetrain on my xc race bike shortly, I have the XT cluster and crankset to go on, but can't decide on a chain. I have a Wipperman stainless ready to go but from reading some of the reviews, I'm a bit nervous about it breaking. I need something that is not going to let me down in the state finals in a couple of months. I've been through all the Sram's and a few Shimano's. So what do ya reckon. I'm thinking maybe a nickel plated Wipperman or maybe just go back to the old Sram pc99. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I haven't tried wipperman, but I've had nothing but good luck with sram powerlink chains, from the pc-48 on up (still running 8 spd here).
I'd go with tried and true if you're worried about the durability of the SS wipperman.
MikeeR said:
OK I'll be replacing the drivetrain on my xc race bike shortly, I have the XT cluster and crankset to go on, but can't decide on a chain. I have a Wipperman stainless ready to go but from reading some of the reviews, I'm a bit nervous about it breaking. I need something that is not going to let me down in the state finals in a couple of months. I've been through all the Sram's and a few Shimano's. So what do ya reckon. I'm thinking maybe a nickel plated Wipperman or maybe just go back to the old Sram pc99. Any help appreciated.

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
MikeeR said:
Well, I have a review posted, but I am very happy with the nickel plated wipperman (908) it is more durable than the Shimano or SRAM chains. I have bent it, but it still tends to last 1,500 miles or so which is more than a Shimano or SRAM. (Yes, I am very hard on equipment and prefer replace to maintain :)

-Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.