Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I got back into riding after an 8 year hiatus, when my bike got stolen while I was a poor college student. My wife also decided that the bike she has had for 6 years should finally see some single track.

Its been a lot of fun redescovering this sport, since when did dual suspension get so popular?? Also may Victor Falls RIP.....drove my wife out there only to discover a billion no trespassing/no parking signs, I used to go there twice a week.

My wife has been catching on pretty quick. When she started she could barley get over a curb, and our last ride she cleared a 10" dia. log over a trail. So far I have taken her to South Sea-Tac for her begining single track rides a handfull of times, then to Tahuya Forest for some stamina and also for some nostalgia for myself, as I had a few of my favorite races there as a kid. She has also been to Black Diamond Coal Mines, her first technical experience that she kind of enjoyed. So far she has said that Tahuya was her favorite, as long as we were using the interior trails, she hated the perimeter trails....too rocky.

She told me today that she is tired of riding in the woods and wants to see some "open" scenery. I have been a bit reluctant to do any long hill climbs as her and my fitness level isnt 100% yet, and I cant think of anyplaces that dont envolve long climbs (Suntop comes to mind). Any ideas?

·
Moist and Delicious
555 Posts
Sounds like you need a new guide book. I won't really knock Tahuya, but when people were riding there consistently, there weren't anywhere near the amount of miles available to the everyday/average rider. That has changed a LOT since 1994.

As for dual suspension, it makes sense when you're talking about bikes that have better features and weigh less than they did years back. For the same or less money to boot...

Long story short, there's a lot of great riding on both sides of the Cascades, but I'd hazard that anything really scenic will be a little out of her range for now? I'd take her to Anacortes, or the top of Galby. ....or you could run her up the Middle Fork, if it's open yet (I don't even know that one!). Taylor River might be nice... rocky XC climb, and nice falls on top. All the rest of the stuff on this side of the Cascades is still under some snow, or serious need of repair. Maybe Sage Hills in Wenatchee? I've never ridden it, but it's certainly beautiful to look at!

Good luck!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Speedyjay said:
and I cant think of anyplaces that dont envolve long climbs (Suntop comes to mind). Any ideas?
Fawn Ridge. Takes you halfway up the Suntop descent. Road climb isn't too arduous. Don't know the status of the road or trail.

·
Moist and Delicious
555 Posts
That's a great one, too. Then, you could enjoy either side of the White River on your way back down.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Once Noble Nob is open, run Palisaides, take her there and just let her walk the sections she deems sketch.

Fawn Ridge (which is just an easier approach to the last 2/3rds of Suntop) is a good suggestion as far as her skills and ability to ride most of the trail, but as we all know Noble/Palisades is one of the showcase rides in the State.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts