Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a shrub-like plant around the Phil's Trail area west of Bend. Right now it has fragrant yellow flowers. It's in the Ponderosa/Manzanita Eco-zone, and only faintly resembles a small sagebrush. They sometimes get infested with tent caterpillars.

I used to know the name of this plant but have forgotten it. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

G

·
Mustard? Everywhere on the west coast in the summer.

There's another plant here in the PacNW with yellow flowers, you can see it all over, especially on the sides of I-84 driving through the Gorge. I've been told what it is; it's an invasive species, even saw a show on OPB about it, but I can't remember the name.

·
limplizard
41 Posts
ronbo613 said:
There's another plant here in the PacNW with yellow flowers, you can see it all over, especially on the sides of I-84 driving through the Gorge. I've been told what it is; it's an invasive species, even saw a show on OPB about it, but I can't remember the name.
Scotch broom? I saw a segment of "Oregon Field Guide" about it many years ago.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Scotch Broom is the bright yellow plant you see along the highways & anywhere the soil has been disturbed. My wife's best guess is the stuff in Bend is Rabbitbrush. Does it look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chrysothamnus_nauseosus_7991.jpg ?

The stuff Ron's riding through looks more like a yellow or tansy mustard, again according to my wife. I can only identify one plant & it's illegal. : )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.